free website stats program Best Dyna for a tall guy?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Dyna for a tall guy??

Craigmier

I really love the Wide Glide, Street Bob and Fat Bob. I am 6'6. I realize forward controls with extensions will help a ton. Anybody got 3" forward control extensions? Anybody got 4" or bigger extensions? I prefer the look of the drag bars more than ape hangers, but the stock drag bars on Wide Glide and Fat Bob are too low, any suggestions? This will be my first Harley and I cant wait, just want to make sure I do things right the first time. Always cheaper to do it right up front. I want to be comfortable and not look like an elephant on a tricycle. Thanks in advance for your help! All suggestions welcome.

Craig

Be careful of apes with forward controls. Unless you have some big arms and a strong back cause your feet will not be helping much in holding on.......:11:

I'm 6'5" and my first Harley was a Dyna Fat Bob. Standard forward controls and I did buy a Tall Boy seat which brings you up 1 1/2" and back 2".

I do think I looked big on the bike, but it is comfortable to ride for short rides.

I did get a Ultra Limited in July and love it! The bike fits, if you know what I mean. It is in proportion to my height and I do not look like a gorilla on it. Plus, the wife has her "couch" and can ride with me longer than an hour. On the Dyna she could not see over my shoulders and always looking to the side made her sick.

If I was to do it over I probably would of started with a Street Glide. IMO the Touring bikes work best for my height.

I did get a Ultra Limited in July and love it! The bike fits, if you know what I mean. It is in proportion to my height and I do not look like a gorilla on it. Plus, the wife has her "couch" and can ride with me longer than an hour. On the Dyna she could not see over my shoulders and always looking to the side made her sick.

If I was to do it over I probably would of started with a Street Glide. IMO the Touring bikes work best for my height.

"Someday you will own a Bagger" So you could cut to the chase and start there or look at a 2012 H-D Switchback?? - Harley Davidson Community

I really love the Wide Glide, Street Bob and Fat Bob. I am 6'6. I realize forward controls with extensions will help a ton. Anybody got 3" forward control extensions? Anybody got 4" or bigger extensions? I prefer the look of the drag bars more than ape hangers, but the stock drag bars on Wide Glide and Fat Bob are too low, any suggestions? This will be my first Harley and I cant wait, just want to make sure I do things right the first time. Always cheaper to do it right up front. I want to be comfortable and not look like an elephant on a tricycle. Thanks in advance for your help! All suggestions welcome.

Craig

If you like drag bars you can use pull back risers to suit you fit, sit on your bike hold your hands where you think you will be most comfortable, have some one snap a picture of where your hands are opposed to where the bars are now JMO

Well I'm only 6'-2" so I can't comment on the extra 4 inches. I weigh about 225 lbs so I'm not all that small. I ride a Street Bob. I probably look big on it, haven't seen a video of me on it enough to know. But I've seen big guys on Ultras and they looked big on them to. The frame dimensions are not much different, they just have bigger seats and baggage.

As far as drag bars, you don't see that many dogbone risers anymore like Dennis Hopper had in Easy Rider. They do sell some pullback risers but if you have long arms you ain't gonna need no more pullback.

I have straight 10" rise TBars which give the same effect as the old drag bars on risers. They are a good 5" rise over the OEM Fat Bob ones. Anyhow I would just sit on some bikes and get one the "feels" right for you. Don't worry bout how you look on it. You're a big guy. Don't matter what you buy it ain't gonna make you look smaller.

1946806-T800600.jpg

I'm also 6'2" and 225. I changed out the bars on my FatBob and that raised them abut two inches. The mustang day tripper seat allowed me to sit back another couple of inches. After those changes I did not need to extend out the forward controls. Adding two inches to the raisers on the FatBob can be done w/o changing cables.

I am 6 foot 1 and 250 with a 32 inch inseam. I ride a 2010 superglide custom with the MID controls and have no issues. I rode a buddies bike with forards (fat bob) and felt like my feet were sliding off the pegs and it actually made my hips hurt cuz I was constantly picking up my feet....and I've ridden with guys that tell me you HAVE to switch to forwards.......but I have been fine with the mids.....yeah my knees are a little high but I have ridden 600 miles in one day and been comfortable enough. With you at 6 foot 6 you will probably look big on any bike though!

Thanks for the input guys.

After almost 1000 miles riding mt stock fatbob i really wanna get my hands higher and butt back a few inches. not sure what bars i like the most. would love to see other peoples handlebar setup on thier fatbob. i am going to see how much the dealer will charge to install risers for now.

VH big radius and roland sands breather with a tune go on in 2 weeks. kinda wishing i had ordered sideshots instead now...

Sorry for the lack of punctuation...im on a tablet

Back