free website stats program Bent Brake Rotor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bent Brake Rotor

Hey Rancid, the binding of the caliper is the hidden danger I was unaware of. However, since already ridding 250 miles and into District 1 of Saigon, it doesn't get to much hotter than that, my luck continues. I'll not push it though. May have to do the tweaking for the Lao ride.
I breezed through the Self Help Tips and didn't see anything on rotors. What's a floating rotor?
Thanks for all the comments.

if its not rubbing enough to get real hot i should be fine, just keep an eye on it. a floating rotor is what you see on sports bikes and anyone who wants to improve breaking, there is a carrier that bolts onto the hub, same as stock rotor, but the actual friction area of the rotor is held to the carrier on bobbing which allow the rotor to float back and forth which improves the way the pads clamp to the rotor. there are also floating calipers, which slide back and forth on pins to achieve the same result but the caliper pins flog out and the caliper gets sloppy

I rode the 250 miles to Saigon on a blazing hot day. The rotor was hot, but ok. It seemed bent enough just to make contact to make the groan noise and slow the wheel down a little when hand spinning it. As the brake pads are a little worn after 19,000 miles I think that would allow a little give in the chain of things. (so not to bind up as you warned about). Anyway, my options are limited. It will be the rain season when I make the ride to Vientiane, so that will help keep things cool!
Have not much interest in sport bike, so never seen a floating rotor. The flogging pins and sloppy caliper don't sound very appealing.
Thanks for the comments.

Back