free website stats program Belt squeak.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt squeak....

chuckchaz

My drive belt has just recently begun to squeak. I have checked to see if any thing is rubbing and there doesn't appear to be.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what can be done to make it stop because it is really annoying the heck out of me.....:small3d012:

Had any service on rear wheel ? Check belt adjustment. Click on search key and type drive belt squeal. Alot of good advice there.

My drive belt has just recently begun to squeak. I have checked to see if any thing is rubbing and there doesn't appear to be.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what can be done to make it stop because it is really annoying the heck out of me.....:small3d012:

Short answer::: adjusting it Again Properly and giving it a look to see if any bad spots, missing pieces,rocks or rock holes.

My 2000 FXDS squeaked right before it broke...

How many miles on your 2000 model and have you looked at the Run-Out of the belt?

It should just touch the outside of the rear pulley when going ahead and going in REVERSE turning slowly,,, It should SLOWLY move to the other side.... Or a small gap on Each side of belt while turning tire forward is great..(perfectly centered)
That is ONE way I check mine for alignment..

signed....BUBBIE

Checked it and it seems to be in aligned. I sprayed a little dry silicon on it and it stopped...for now... on my next service I am gonna have them double check it....thanks for the all the advice:D

What usually causes the belt to squeak is the belt adjustment. It's either too loose or too tight. I would never put anything on the belt to stop the squeak, just have it adjusted with the HD belt adjustment tool per the service manual. I don't remember what I paid for the tool, but it wasn't much. I used to adjust the belt by feel, but found out the hard way, that it's always best to use the tool. Just a little loose or tight will cause it to squeak, and probably shorten the life of the belt.

Checked it and it seems to be in aligned. I sprayed a little dry silicon on it and it stopped...for now... on my next service I am gonna have them double check it....thanks for the all the advice:D

Belt dressing is like a band aid on a broken leg, best to find out why it is squeaking and adjust properly check pulleys for wear and tear

Back