free website stats program Belt drive | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt drive

Less noise and adjustment, takes the comp sprocket out of the set up, Expensive, and with an open primary a real challenge to ride:s

I saw some of these at a bike show during Bike Week. One of the shows had my wife's nephew's (by her previous marriage) bike in the show. I talked with him and he told me the belt gave better performance etc like the above posts said. But he also said it's not for amatuers to ride since if you pants leg gets caught in it, it can get nastry real quick.

What about the enclosed primary belt like some of the Indians run?

Some were OK some got real hot, H D did this on the Sturgis Models, had lots of problems, pretty hard to find one of these in pristine shape any more, Most had vented primary covers:s

I ran Phase 3 belts enclosed on a 64 Pan and a 76 Shovel. With a 32 tooth tranny gear and chain drive they worked great. More responsive and less chatter. On my Dyna its so smooth from factory I dont see the point. Still getting used to rubber mounted engine. It's a whole new world.

Up sides,Perfomance, no oil to change, looks cool. Down side, expensive, runs hot, danger to pants and legs.

Back