free website stats program Belt drive | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt drive

babella

hi riders,

Hey guys this is the first bike I have owned with a belt drive. So I am sure I have a bunch of newbie questions. Are there any draw backs to it? How often dose the belt need replaced/adjusted? I am so used to the old iron heads, this is a different world to me.

Babella

hi babella,

it is depend on how you ride and how much HP you are trying to put through it. If you have a 100 HP+ monster sporty and you are doing streetlight racing you will probably have to replace it every weekend. 70 -> 80 HP and easy riding will get you years. Probably crack from dry rot before it "wears" out.

Solanki

I would not put that much HP through a stock belt on a sporty. I would definitely switch to a chain. So would most builders that I know.

hi riders,

Hey guys this is the first bike I have owned with a belt drive. So I am sure I have a bunch of newbie questions. Are there any draw backs to it? How often dose the belt need replaced/adjusted? I am so used to the old iron heads, this is a different world to me.

Babella
i have been putting over 100 hp through the belt on my 99 sportster for 40,000 miles and it has not give me any problems . no i dont race on the street but i have raced it at maxton several times and i ride it pretty hard each time i take it out . THE BELT IS RELIABLE

The belts are very reliable. I have had 3 belt drive Harleys. I do regularly inspect mine for rock damage, I think that’s what probably what can leave you stranded, though not often. You can be riding on a damaged belt and not know it and then when you stress it it breaks so regularly check it. Once broken in the adjustment changes very little and they are cleaner than a chain which is nice.

Jacoh

Well according to the owners manual the bike makes 68 HP I don't ride it to hard but I aint a gramma either. guess I will have to learn how to check it. How hard is it to convert a belt drive to chain, I mean besides the obvious can it be done with a stock bike?

Back