free website stats program Bel-Ray vs Formula + vs Amsoil | Harley Davidson Forums

Bel-Ray vs Formula + vs Amsoil

Tripp

Banned
Ok guys im sure there's plenty of threads on this but I wanna do a new one so I don't have to spend a lot of time searching lol... So, how does Bel-Ray Primary stand up against Formula + and Amsoil Primary.? The Harley Service guy said to only use Formula + and nothing else but I can't find this fluid nowhere online to order it! I did find only two on ebay and the seller is in the UK! So, I heard good things about Amsoil primary and was going to go with that but they don't ship to PO Boxes lol and lastly I ended up finding Bel-Ray and they actually ship to POs... Is it good? Will it stand up against Formula +? And why does Harley-Davidson insist on Formula +...?

Right now everyone reading this is slapping their heads. Again? LOL! You got a HD canned response. Any of those will work. And it doesn't take much time to read a thousand threads on the same question! :)

You'll need a moderator to do that and they may only be able to kill it and not delete it. But hey, it could be entertaining anyways. Everyone has an opinion. LOL!

Yeah can't delete it but o well I got my answer anyway lol... I guess I'll go with it and not worry about

Nah, don't worry about it. Happens to everyone once in a while. There's sooo many opinions on what to use. Depends on your clutch set up too. Lots of guys run automotive ATF. I ran Syn 3 for years with no problems. Redline too. It's whatever you think works best for you.

BnUse what you want to, main thing is that you keep the internal parts clean.
Personally I have tried other oils . .
On my current bike I changed the oils at the dealer at about 800 miles and had them put Formula + back in.
3000 miles later I changed to the Amsoil products, road home and the noises from the bike was terrible.
Next day a complete oil & filter change in engine, primary and the transmission.
I went back to the HD Formula + as well as the Syn 3.
Engine, primary and transmission noises were gone right away.
The bike is close to 20,000 trouble free miles and quiet.
For me the products work.
Everyone has their own experiences with the oils they like.
This is my 6th Harley-Davidson bike all bought when new.
All made more noise with Mobile, Amsoil and I also tried Schafer products.

For Me? I still use Bel-Ray 20w50 synthetic blend in the motor and Redline in primary and transmission, I have a 2005 Electraglide. But any will work just fine. I found that using Redline in trans helps with the first gear clunk. You Can't go wrong with Bel-Ray oil products IMHO.

We haven't had an oil thread for a while. I am going to leave it up for now.

I'm also going to give my opinion Lol. Royal Purple in the motor, redline shockproof in the Trans. and the cheapest 20-50 Dino oil I can find for the primary. I switched to this combo at approximately 30,000 miles. My 07 has over 100,000 on it now and running strong with quiet shifts and no rattling like I got with Mobil 1 Also still on my original clutch

Back