free website stats program bel-ray oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bel-ray oil

Steve, are you saying as the oil gets hotter, it gets thicker?

Just asking
Bill

Yes. This is how multi viscosity oils are designed. That is why most automotive manufacturers now recommend 5w-30 in their vehicles. The oil still moves in the colder weather protecting the engine at start up, but thickens to the recommended viscosity when warm. 0 degrees fahrenheit is used as the baseline in the manufacture of oil and 210 is used as the high temperature baseline.

Last edited:
Most multi grade oils have polymers added that are viscosity index improvers that thicken the oil as it gets hot this allows it to flow well and provide suitable lubrication when the engine is cold or hot

Brian

Most multi grade oils have polymers added that are viscosity index improvers that thicken the oil as it gets hot this allows it to flow well and provide suitable lubrication when the engine is cold or hot

Brian

Ok, then here's a stupid question..... why do we get our bikes hot first when we drain the oil to change it, if it's thinner when it's cold??? :p

Ok, then here's a stupid question..... why do we get our bikes hot first when we drain the oil to change it, if it's thinner when it's cold??? :p

Although I do not know the answer to everything about oil I have been led to believe that warming the oil up and circulating it around the engine it will suspend most of the contaminants and they will flow out with the old oil also if a bike suffers from sumping then the oil tank will be filled up and you will drain most of the oil
And the oil does flow better when hot but without the polymers it would flow much quicker and perhaps not offer as much protection :s

Brian

Although I do not know the answer to everything about oil I have been led to believe that warming the oil up and circulating it around the engine it will suspend most of the contaminants and they will flow out with the old oil also if a bike suffers from sumping then the oil tank will be filled up and you will drain most of the oil
And the oil does flow better when hot but without the polymers it would flow much quicker and perhaps not offer as much protection :s

Brian

I would hit the "Like" button on this if I were ever to use FB. Since that will never happen. Great answer Brian!

Multi-grade
The temperature range the oil is exposed to in most vehicles can be wide, ranging from cold temperatures in the winter before the vehicle is started up, to hot operating temperatures when the vehicle is fully warmed up in hot summer weather. Specific oils will have high viscosity when cold and a lower viscosity at the engine's operating temperature. The difference in viscosities for most single-grade oil is too large between the extremes of temperature. To bring the difference in viscosities closer together, special polymer additives called Viscosity Modifiers, or VIIs are added to the oil. These additives are used to make the oil a multi-grade motor oil, though it is possible to have a multi-grade oil without the use of VIIs. The idea is to cause the multi-grade oil to have the viscosity of the base grade when cold and the viscosity of the second grade when hot. This enables one type of oil to be generally used all year. In fact, when multi-grades were initially developed, they were frequently described as all-season oil. The viscosity of a multi-grade oil still varies with temperature, but the change is lessened. This change with temperature depends on the nature and amount of the additives added to the base oil.

Back