free website stats program Been Sitting awhile | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Been Sitting awhile

Just to add to what dolt said on the tire manufacture date, the date is on the sidewall of the tire. It will be a 4 digit code. Ex: 1217 would be the 12th week of 2017

At the age of the bike along with all the other great sugestions i would add a full carb rebuild as many of the rubber parts may have deteriorated due to the make up of modern fuels

Brian

I just helped a friend who bought an old Heritage that had been sitting in a guys living room for many years. It only had 4200 miles on it, but we changed the fuel and air filters, plugs, all fluids (using Amsoil 20-50 and their Primary and Tranny specific oils, as that was what I had on hand), fresh tires and new battery. The damn thing started right up and has been running fine for him since the Fall! We were both pretty surprised, but hey - don’t argue with success! LOL

I always order my tires from JakeWilson.com. They are the best prices I've found, and offer free shipping to your door. A good set of tire "spoons" lets anyone change their own tires, thus eliminating a mechanic fee. I also put 1 oz. of "Dyna Beads" in the front tire and 2 oz. in the rear. This eliminates ugly tire weights for balancing the tires.

Back