free website stats program Batwing for a Road King classic, is it wrong | Harley Davidson Forums

Batwing for a Road King classic, is it wrong

Roadking Nigel

I live in the UK and have been thinking about exchanging my RK Classic for a SG pure and simply for the added weather protection of the Batwing. Are the aftermarket Batwings any good, does it look like something just thrown on? Help !

IMO the after market fairings do look added on to a Road King. Having said that, Its a whole lot cheaper than a SG! I like being fairing-less so I am partial......

I stand in the middle of the road on this,yes ive seen some RK'S with the Batwing added and it looked really good.A Job well done!!! Ive also seen some that really looked like it was down in the back yard!! Yes its alot Cheaper adding a Batwing to your unit,and if you like it. And its providing the protecting that you are looking for,go for it!!!

I'm also middle of the road on this. I've seen some nice looking batwing additions, and some that look very wrong.

Having ridden both styles, I like the batwing, if I ever go back to a bagger again it will be a batwing JMO

There you go. The whole range of thoughts. I like simple and I hate all the radio and electrics that inevitably go along with the bat wing. Just a bunch of stuff to fix down the road. Like one great past member used to say "your ride you decide". Let us know what you decide.

There you go. The whole range of thoughts. I like simple and I hate all the radio and electrics that inevitably go along with the bat wing. Just a bunch of stuff to fix down the road. Like one great past member used to say "your ride you decide". Let us know what you decide.

I used to laugh at friends with the stereo and all the gadgets, but for longer trips I would never go back. I like my Geezer Glide and all of it's creature comforts. Also the tourpak rack accommodate a cooler quite well :)

When I purchased my SGS recently I did consider a Road King then add a removable fairing for longer rides at higher speeds. The route I was going was to attach an authentic used Harley Fairing though. I can't stand the kit car appearance of some of the aftermarket fairings, rather have nothing and suffer first. Yes I'm stubborn. Of course I wasn't going to be much concerned with the unfinished inner side. But of course a used matching inner Harley fairing is always a consideration as long as you don't want to complicate things by adding gauges etc.
Oh the reason I decided to spend the extra money for the SGS over the king was the fact that the riding I now do is more toward longer distances in a day 150 - 300 miles verses the quickie runs around town that I did on my Street Bob. Not sure any of this helps, just the thought process I had.

I have a 2007 Road King. Look at any of the high end manufacturers of aftermarket fairings. They slide on the same way as your existing windshield does. Run the supplied wiring harness from your battery to the fairing and bam, you've got music for a long ride. Here's the catch, factory fairings (i.e. Ultras, Street Glides, Road Glides and the new RK) have factory volume and radio channel controls near your grips. Aftermarket fairings do not. So, to change volume/channels while riding you have to reach for it with your left arm while the other steers and works the throttle. I think I read it somewhere in this forum about integrating factory hand controls, so maybe another reader can expound on that. I bought a Dead Center Cycle fairing, with an upgraded stereo and speakers. I will put my bike up against any factory installed radio, it sounds that good. I have true duals with V & H slipons. I can hear my radio clearly at 70+ mph. Also, being aftermarket, it's removeable for warm weather.

I kicked the thought around a tad, not gonna do it. Like others have said, some of those fairings make a King look like a Jester:bigsmiley13: Others nail it in the looks dept. Different strokes, different folks

Back