free website stats program Battery Tender..... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender.....

Im on a Gel cel and keep it hooked up all the time. I got 5 years on my first battery. I changed it anyhow when we went to CO last summer. Did not want to take the chance.

I would agree that using it all the time is best. My stock battery 2004 is still in good condition. I will say that it cranks alittle slower if I were to leave it disconnected for a couple of weeks. Mine has a 103 engine and it does crank a little harder than the 88 i had before.

Just reading the posts, bloody hell -30 over there, here in Aus where I am working at the moment (dont tell anyone I am surfing the net while I am working) it is 42c in the shade.

I was just going through this post on the Battery issue. Recently I had a turn signal issue and thought that was the reason the battery was being drained. But by reading this I am just wondering if the battery is bad, I still have to test it but looking for opinions to see if I am on the right track. I am in the Marine Corps and was in VA for about 6 months for a school and the bike stayed out here in Cali. However I did have a couple of buddies that would come start it and let it run for a little bit. When I got back it fired right up and thought everything was great. Then the turn signal issue came up and the battery was acting as if it was getting drained and I have had it on the tender while I was having the turn signal problem. When I fixed the light problem I charged the battery fully and rode it all day friday. It stayed in the garage on Saturday, sunday, and monday. I even started it on sunday to check the battery and it fired right up. But this morning I got on it to go to work and there just wasn't enough juice to start her up. Could the battery just be bad from sitting so long and then having the turn signal problem? Also my buddies had to push start it once while I was gone for those 6 months.

6 months is a long time to expect a battery to hold a charge. Truth is if your buddies didn't run it long or fast enough, they probably took more charge out that was put back in by running it.

Alarms will run a battery down over time from draw. It sounds like you have something else going on if it didn't start after a few days with a fully charged battery prior to this. Maybe it's not charging and the regulator itself is pulling the battery down. Have you tested the regulator or the stator?

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

I am going to do that this evening when I get home from work. I did replace the regulator last year with a used one that my buddy had. So I am thinking that it could be that it went bad. But also since it sat for that long that the battery might have just went bad as well and cause when I was trouble shooting the turn signal issue it took the volts on the battery down to 9.2, so it might be that the battery just can't hold a charge anymore.

Back