free website stats program Battery tender/Trickle Charger | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery tender/Trickle Charger

I just bought a Deltran Battery Tender Junior at the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago for $23.00. The Harley shops want a fortune for the same product branded with HD. Better not to get one at all than get some cheap device, especially if you are going to leave the battery in the bike. JMO

I have one on each bike black and decker $20 bucks Home Depot can't beat them. They also come with the pig tail plugs, attach to battery tuck up under tank when not in use.

Harbor Freight sells one for around ten bucks, often on sale for six. It seems to work as well as any of them. I have two of them, btw; one for the bike and one for the car.
I have seen them advertised many times in the Harbor Freight catalog and wondered if they were a Trickle Charger or a battery tender. I still don't know. Is it a tender or charger? If it is a tender then $4.00 is dirt cheap because I paid around $40.00 for mine at the dealer when I first bought my bike and the dealer recommended it and I wanted to do the right thing for my bike.

Harbor Freight sells one for around ten bucks, often on sale for six. It seems to work as well as any of them. I have two of them, btw; one for the bike and one for the car.
read this thread and checked out Harbor Freight. ordered 2 with shipping around 25 bucks. can't find a better deal than that.

Just so I understand completely. If it has a "float" component, is it a tender in that it doesn't overcharge the battery? Thank you.
Ishmael

I bought the HD brand before doing alot of research & finding it's made by Deltran (Battery Tender Jr.) so I'd say go w/the Deltran version & search online for good sale - seen them under $20.

I don't know but with shipping now a days the HD one isn't a bad deal , I bought mine when my dealer had one of the open houses they have every year , they offer 20% off on parts and acc. , UPS can cost 10.00 for just a small package .

Make sure that you have that little pig tail secure in position to where you can plug in the wire from the charger. A loose pig tail will affect the paint as the wind blows it around on the saddlebag cover.

Listen to this man! So true!

Battery Tenders - smart chargers, only way to go.
:D

I understand the whole budget thing as with the way times are and the price of gas on the rise we are all going to have to cut back on everything, even our riding. With that being said some may have there bikes sitting a little longer between rides. So when I say this please don't think I am being mean but when it comes to something as important as the battery do not go cheap. Go with the middle ground. Battery tenders can be bought just about anywhere these days, some are are better than others and some are just junk. With that in mind think of the cost of a new battery from HD, the cheapest one they sell for a big v-twin is around 150 bucks. A middle of the road Battery tender is about 20. I have nothing against Harbor Frieght one of my favorite stores, but lets face it you get what you pay for. Spend the money on some higher quality electronics and pick-up a nice tender from Sears, Pep Boys, NAPA, Snap-On even Wal-Mart, cost at anyone of these stores is around $15.99- 39.99. The thing is you will not have to worry about if it is working or not and even worse over charging your system creating a melt down.
Again this is just my opinion and you all know what they say about opinions.

Back