free website stats program Battery Tender Pigtail Location | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender Pigtail Location

softailhog

Hey guys, I got a new battery tender for Christmas:D and was wondering where the best place to run the pigtail out from under the seat is on an '02 Heritage.
I want to avoid engine heat, frame rub, etc. Any ideas?

Though I have a Sporty, your approach is sound, knowing the key elements to make the decision on routing. I ran wiring similar to red battery wire using a bit of plastic split corrugated wiring sheathing (black or chrome) from Kragen/O-Reilly's to protect and hold it via small black zip ties. It protects the wiring from abrasion and "looks" OEM. Make sure the end has sufficient service loop so you can unplug and connect easily, but at the same time tucks up nicely.

On my 08 I wire tied it to and ran it up the side of the horizontal support and out from under the seat on the right side. I have not had any issues with it; just ensure there is not eneough slack that it draps back onto the pipes.

Just find a convenient unobtrusive place for it. The left side of bike is usually less seen.
Make sure the red wire goes to the positive batt. terminal and the covered socket in the plug, so there's no chance of arcing if the plug touches the frame (even with the cover).

On my 09 it comes out throttle side towards back of the seat,had no problems ref heat or gettin trapped,Danny Mc

You might want to also take Glider's advice into mind & route it out near your rear frame. This way it won't wreck wiring if you forget to unplug before driving off...:newsmile011:

I did the corrigated tubing to a spot & mounted with a square 2-sided tape mount & secured then Tie-wraped the plug to the square on top of my coil. Looks Factory & is out of the way.

All great advice, thanks. I had forgotten about Glider's tip so I went back and read it.
Makes sense. If I have time I'm gonna put it on this weekend.

I park my bike with throttle side towards the wall and my battery companion sets on a self on the wall so I positioned the big-tail so that it comes from under the seat on the clutch side of the bike so that when it is hooked up the cable lays across the seat and I wont forget to unplug it.

Mine runs out from under the front part of the seat and hangs out just enough to hide it behind the coil cover, out of the way. It is in the way when I go to move or get on the bike. Been there for 6 years now, no problems.

Back