free website stats program Battery Tender (Optimizer) Yes or No??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender (Optimizer) Yes or No???

Have You checked Your fuse on the pigtail to Your battery?

No, but the unit is working. The light changes from flashing red to solid red when the pigtail is plugged in. This is the way my BTJr has worked on all my bikes, but always turned green eventually.

Cheers,

TQ

TQ; My tender is not "Battery Tender" brand. It has two lights, red shows it is connected to power outlet, green shows it's connected to a battery. It stays solid green until it goes into float or sulfate mode, then the green flashes. I have 5 or six batteries I keep charged & rotate the charger when I think of it.
I have two batteries that the light will not go into flash mode, one I know is very weak, the other I haven't load tested.
Why do I have so many batteries? I internet order, and don't have core charge, and as long as a battery has juice, I think that I will someday find a use for it. :D

I have quick connects on lawn mowers and bike.....I bought an estended reach battery tender connector so each gets one day a week. mower battery is now 7 years old and still works.

TQuentin1,

For you and others to see...

If you Know "Battery Tender" is working correctly and Won't go to Green? for Long a Time...

It probably IS you battery going South. (or the other)Taking More time under the short Charge left Inside the battery... Longer time to Trickle Charge 'cause Battery is Low... OR your Charging system on the bike is not UP to Snuff...

My Tender shows red for a short time and then goes Green right away... That tells me My charging system On The Bike is working good.

Battery is good in my Sport 1200 R and after a normal ride out n about it shows green in about 2 minutes from red when first plugged in.:D

Might test your Power in the battery (13.5 volts = strong) after a ride and see what it reads sitting over night Off the Charger... IF low then, check amount of Voltage your Stator is putting out.

OR the battery won't take OR hold a charge...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

Right. I am worried about the battery. The bike is a '12, so the battery could have been made sometime in '11 (or earlier!!). That is coming up on the useful lifespan of these OEM batteries.

With only 3,600 miles on it when I bought it, the bike (and battery) must have sat idle most of the time.

Guess I will order a new battery (Odyssey I am thinking) and have it on the shelf just in case!

Cheers,

TQ

I have used a Tender after every ride for the last 3 batteries. All OEM batteries and never got over 2-1/2 years out of any of them. This time I bought a cheap auto parts store battery and quit using the Tender every time. I'll see what that brings me. I ride the bike every day as it is my primary means of go. It only sits when I go out of town or something. I do know that I will never buy another HD battery again. Complete ripoff IMO.

I only use my battery optimiser if the bike has been sitting unused for a month or more
But my bikes are all older evo models with no alarms clocks or entertainment systems fitted that would draw power when the bike is not running
So it works for me

Brian

I just replaced my battery yesterday. Got 7 good years out of it and used the tender all the time. I think it was worth it, got me a couple extra years.

Most of the battery failures I've had have NOT been failure to start, they have been plate separation. When that happens you are dead in the water and you can't jump start the bike. This has happened to me four or five times including two days into a trip to Sturgis (on a Sunday). Only once have I been lucky enough to be at home. I replace my batteries every three years whether they need it or not so I can choose where to buy them instead of buying whatever is available wherever I'm at if the battery's plates separate. I have three bikes, an electraglide ultra, a heritage softail, and a 58 panhead FL. I rotate two battery tenders on them although I live in FLA and rarely go two weeks without riding them.
RedEd

Back