free website stats program Battery Tender For Storage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender For Storage

That's a lot of push for the size of the battery. The tenders have an output of .750 amps on the small one and 1.25 on the big one. Charging faster can heat the battery and warp the plates.

If it's just as a maintenance thing, I would use the bigger tender (1.25) The smaller one may be overworked.

I've used a 12v automotive 15 amp automatic/manual charger on a couple of bikes with no problems. I set the charger on automatic, in a short time it's trickling on and off 0 amps. I have left it that way overnight. Has anyone out there ever really damaged a battery this way?

You'll be the first one to know using 15 amps.:s

It normally starts charging at about 5-6 amps and quickly reduces to trickle.

Actually it can damage if left beyond overnight. The trickle charger will continue to force low 0.5A or more current charge rate slowly evaporating all the water out of the electrolyte in a small motorcycle battery DRY. :sd

Don't ask how I know, suffice it is to say, use an intellegent Battery Tender that knows how to shut off once battery is charged. :D

Last edited:
OK, you guys are making me spend money smart again. I had not thought about the battery going flat over the cold months. Stupid I know. So today I went and bought the tender and the pigtail and installed it on my Sportster.
Thank you for all the smart thinking.:p

Just a quick update on my Dyna and the Pigtail. I messed around with a bunch of different ways to do it. Bottomline the fuse was just too close to the + (Red) connection, so I spliced the fuse out, moved it way back on the wire and used magical Electric tape over the connections. That allowed me to run the wires alongside the other battery connection wires. Worked like a charm, we'll have to wait and see how it holds up over time but for now it is cleanly hooked up, with the BT connection under the seat and easily accessible.

My bike, well into January is now officially winterized completely, and should be ready for March/April when I am praying for some early spring weather here, since I am really tired of snow right now.

Back