free website stats program Battery side cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery side cover

Dswartz

I am in need of a new battery side cover for my '02 super glide. I have noticed that harley makes two models one for the standard battery and one for the AGM sealed battery. Apparently there is a slightly different shape with the AGM battery. I currently have the old fashioned battery and plan on using it until it dies and will then go to the AGM. I would hate to buy a new cover for the battery I have and then have to get another one once I make the switch. If I go ahead and get the AGM size cover will it still fit for my current battery?

As far as I am aware, AGM refers to the inner plate makeup...but the outside battery form factor should not change. If you stick with the H-D battery, I would think it would fit fine. The solid black case will not let you use the battery electrolyte level slots as AGM batteries generally use much less water, so no inspection is needed.:)

Is there a difference in size between the two covers or is it simply some kind of inspection slot to show the electrolyte level. If it's just the inspection thing and there are no other differences then I will just get the AGM one. By the way my current battery is not HD it is an offbrand of some kind that the previous owner installed.

Is there a difference in size between the two covers or is it simply some kind of inspection slot to show the electrolyte level. If it's just the inspection thing and there are no other differences then I will just get the AGM one. By the way my current battery is not HD it is an offbrand of some kind that the previous owner installed.

Page 158 011 catalog part no66192-99 is all in one with top cover, part no 66718-01 needs part no 66367-97 or 66368-97 top cover:s

Wet or Agm the batteries are the same size as NEWHD74FAN said, Harley ran wet cells till 99, then 2000 and newer all had AGM batteries. Do you have the two part numbers for the covers you could post?

The two covers I was looking at were 66375-97 for the one that includes slotted openings. The other was 66718-01 which is for the AGM battery. From the pictures they both look the same but 66375-97 is about $13 more. If they are both the same size and I dont care about the slotted openings I guess I will just go with 66718-01.

Had a similar problem with my just-purchased 2003 SG. Previous owner installed a Yuasa battery, which died with the first freeze this year. Thought I would never get the after-market battery cover off but replaced the battery with an HD and it went back in with almost no trouble. I did not measure the two batteries but suspect the HD is slightly smaller.

AGM batteries CAN be slightly smaller than wet cells because less space is needed for the old flooded cell type lead acid battery of the past...

VRLA battery

Power density is up and you need that for modern H-D bike that relies so much on electrical system. The higher power alternator, idle speed and challenging environment makes AGM battery with more reserve, valve venting to minimize moisture loss is essential and less "messy"...!:s

Back