free website stats program battery drain | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

battery drain

An off the wall suggestion, see if there is any corrosion in the fuse box,I had that happen once and the battery was nearly dead. I took some lite emery paper and cleaned all the contacts never had the problem again.
An off the wall suggestion, see if there is any corrosion in the fuse box,I had that happen once and the battery was nearly dead. I took some lite emery paper and cleaned all the contacts never had the problem again.
The charging system is putting out 14v at idle. I checked the stator for shorted to ground and it is not. I have pulled the fuses one at a time and the only ones that eliminate the draw is the main fuse and the battery fuse. The fuses and fuse box are not corroded. I can pull all of the fuses except the main and battery and the draw is still there. I started unplugging connectors one at a time and when I unplugged the connector that plugs directly into the tach, the draw went from 1.0 to .6 . I left the tach plug disconnected and unplugged the connector that plugs directly into the speedo and the draw went from .6 to .1. This bike is a 2007 Low Rider with separate tach and speedo gauges mounted in a console on top of the gas tank. I have the wiring diagram and it shows the wire coming from the battery fuse going to the instrument connector, then to the individual connectors to the tach and speedo. I'm not sure why the tach and speedo have a direct connection to the battery fuse, but they do.

Well, after disconnecting and reconnecting the harness connectors and pulling the fuses and relays the draw is down from 1 amp to .850 milliamps! Must have been a dirty connection somewhere. Hopefully the battery stays up now. Thanks to all of you guys for your input, I really appreciate it.
Thanks, Dale

The charging system is putting out 14v at idle. I checked the stator for shorted to ground and it is not. I have pulled the fuses one at a time and the only ones that eliminate the draw is the main fuse and the battery fuse. The fuses and fuse box are not corroded. I can pull all of the fuses except the main and battery and the draw is still there. I started unplugging connectors one at a time and when I unplugged the connector that plugs directly into the tach, the draw went from 1.0 to .6 . I left the tach plug disconnected and unplugged the connector that plugs directly into the speedo and the draw went from .6 to .1. This bike is a 2007 Low Rider with separate tach and speedo gauges mounted in a console on top of the gas tank. I have the wiring diagram and it shows the wire coming from the battery fuse going to the instrument connector, then to the individual connectors to the tach and speedo. I'm not sure why the tach and speedo have a direct connection to the battery fuse, but they do.
So, if you leave these 2 disconnected overnight, or for as long as your battery previously took to discharge; does the same condition exist?
Have you done this as a test- just leave em off and see what happens.
What-if anything- does your manual say about the instruments- any schematics or any description?
Where are they in relation to the Voltage Regulator. From what you said, I take it they are off the Maxi fuse which is connected to the VR
Have you done that test on the diodes of the VR?

Well, after disconnecting and reconnecting the harness connectors and pulling the fuses and relays the draw is down from 1 amp to .850 milliamps! Must have been a dirty connection somewhere. Hopefully the battery stays up now. Thanks to all of you guys for your input, I really appreciate it.
Thanks, Dale
Have to say the difference between 1000mA and 850mA isn’t really significant
Particularly since the reasonably expected parasitic draw is 100 to 150 to 200mA.
But you’re there and I’m not.
I hope you’ve fixed it and well done for your perseverance and attitude.
Congrats.

Back