free website stats program Battery Drain | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Drain

Did you ever get an answer from somewhere? I'm having the same problem. I assumed turning off the ignition would cut off all power, but it isn't.

Ken

Electrical short I believe some where. Just need to know where to start. Put new battery in fully charged ran great started right up, let it sit over night and dead as a door nail come morning. Check with ohm on disconnected battery cable ends and get reading of 150 ohm. When I had it running I disconnected the battery terminals and bike died, on a car you do this and as long as the altenator is good it will keep running ??? Is this the same on bikes. O ya this is a 93 Electriglide.:newsmile010:
Never dissconect the battery with the engine running. The battery is a storage place for the alt. voltage. The votage will surge and burn thinks out. Find yourself an ammeter , one that will go to 10 amps or more. Dissconect the neg. battery cable and put the ammeter in line between the battery and neg. cable. The meter should read (0) if it reads higher then start to disconnect components one at a time until the meter reads 0. This should isolate the problem. I hope this helps!

No still have,nt found problem yet. As I don,t believe in taking my bike in, its a personal thing. it looks like it will take a while. I,ve got battery drain. When it sits over night while I,m riding I,m getting 13.75 on my volt guage and so far I have replaced battery twice, starter from factory 1.2kw to 1.7 kw my choice, relay to starter its cheap, changed battery cables from factory to #1 welding cable natural upgrade. Test so far with ohm meter to reg,battery and test lamps from pos and neg of battery and every thing shows good. No drain on battery with ign off. (BUT) over night battery is so dead it wont take a charge. I,m getting a lot of suggestions that are great but I just have,nt found the right prob as of yet. I,m open to try any suggestions. Like I said I will not let any one touch the bike besides me. Love to learn. Ha Ha Ha My next thing is to follow the wire harness again to see if I can find a wire broken or shorting out some where:bigsmiley19:

Take a look at the regulator wiring harness where it passes under the edge of the bracket. They were notorious for rubbing through the insulation there.

Also suspect that it could be the regulator itself causing the draw. Try unplugging it and see if your battery goes dead overnight.

Last edited:
If your battery is going dead overnight you must have a live pos. wire shorted to ground. There could be components doing this also. Anything that has a live battery wire. I dont know if you found an ammeter yet but it will tell you how many amps the short is pulling out of your battery. It should read 0 with everything off. This will also verify that you have it fixed.

No still have,nt found problem yet. As I don,t believe in taking my bike in, its a personal thing. it looks like it will take a while. I,ve got battery drain. When it sits over night while I,m riding I,m getting 13.75 on my volt guage and so far I have replaced battery twice, starter from factory 1.2kw to 1.7 kw my choice, relay to starter its cheap, changed battery cables from factory to #1 welding cable natural upgrade. Test so far with ohm meter to reg,battery and test lamps from pos and neg of battery and every thing shows good. No drain on battery with ign off. (BUT) over night battery is so dead it wont take a charge. I,m getting a lot of suggestions that are great but I just have,nt found the right prob as of yet. I,m open to try any suggestions. Like I said I will not let any one touch the bike besides me. Love to learn. Ha Ha Ha My next thing is to follow the wire harness again to see if I can find a wire broken or shorting out some where:bigsmiley19:
could you explain that one a little more? are you saying the battery is ruined in the morning and you have to go buy a new one?, or that if you jump the bike the bike won't charge it and you have to put a battery charger on it?, or what?
Just trying to picture what's going on here.

Wow a lot of good ideas. First Glider I will have to check that in the morning (Wiring). I don,t know about unplugging I,v already replaced battery twice, next battery I,ll have to pay again. 2nd Jdaws om my ammeter reads 0 on both pins when ign turned off ??? 3rd TQ Yeh I have done #2 as well and no light. 4th Wildspirit Yeh the battery is ruined. Will not take a charge. No spark what so ever jumping wire from pos to neg. Battery dealer gets o reading. I am learning here so keep the suggestions coming. Txs :newsmile08:

Yeh the battery is ruined. Will not take a charge. No spark what so ever jumping wire from pos to neg. Battery dealer gets o reading.

I have only seen a battery ruined this way once.It was in my 1973 Ventura and the field had shorted in the alternator,reversing the polarity when you shut off the ignition,with interior lights and the memory in the radio as soon as the bat got below 12.2v the regulator contacts would close and then the bat.literally cooked itself.With electronics these days I don't think that is possible?

Wow a lot of good ideas. First Glider I will have to check that in the morning (Wiring). I don,t know about unplugging I,v already replaced battery twice, next battery I,ll have to pay again. 2nd Jdaws om my ammeter reads 0 on both pins when ign turned off ??? 3rd TQ Yeh I have done #2 as well and no light. 4th Wildspirit Yeh the battery is ruined. Will not take a charge. No spark what so ever jumping wire from pos to neg. Battery dealer gets o reading. I am learning here so keep the suggestions coming. Txs :newsmile08:
When you hook up the ammeter make sure it is in series. One meter lead to battery the other to the disconected cable with a charged battery. The current needs to flow through the meter. I always use the neg. side because it is safer. If your battery is fully up and it goes dead overnight there has to be a draw and the ammeter will show it. Make sure your meter is working by turning on the ign. switch just for a second with the meter hooked up and you should see the meter reading jump. Make sure your meter will handle the amperage (at least 10A) some meters have an Internal fuse that might blow.

Back