free website stats program Battery charging | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery charging

I agree with Jack, Bubbie and Bodeen. However, I would like to mention your.75 amp charger may be a good battery tender which will add life to your battery depending on how much you ride. My point is this is a great example of use the proper tool for the job. What I mean by that is if you are just maintaining a battery use a good tender so the battery does not get over charged or cooked. If a battery gets severely discharged from leaving a light on etc use a good charger to bring the charge back up before running the bike, don't want to put unnecessary strain on the charging system.

I agree with Jack, Bubbie and Bodeen. However, I would like to mention your.75 amp charger may be a good battery tender which will add life to your battery depending on how much you ride. My point is this is a great example of use the proper tool for the job. What I mean by that is if you are just maintaining a battery use a good tender so the battery does not get over charged or cooked. If a battery gets severely discharged from leaving a light on etc use a good charger to bring the charge back up before running the bike, don't want to put unnecessary strain on the charging system.

Good clarification on what we were all trying to say!:s

This is an embarrassing newbie question. I left my ignition on and the battery died.

I bought 12 v battery charger, .75 amp. But the charger is flashing red.

Red means, "the battery charger has AC power available and that the microprocessor is functioning properly. If the red light continues to flash, then either the battery voltage is too low (less than 3 V) or the output alligator clips or accessory ring terminals are not connected correctly. "
It's connected the same way I successfully connected my battery maintainer all winter. What does the other mean?

This type of charger is often called a "smart" charger, and won't start unless it senses more than the stated voltage. They can be tricked, by jumping a battery with more than the recommended voltage across the already connected terminals. Even a 6 volt lantern battery, or cordless tool battery will work. NOTE: This is not recommended, try at own risk, etc. etc. :s

Thanks. I'm giving up on this little charger. Can you guys recommend a good cheap alternative?

I have a Schauer that I bought in the mid 70's, both 6 and 12 volt, charges at up to 12 amps per hour, may not be what you need but it's and oldie but goodie!

Another quick thing to try... Jump the dead battery for a few minutes to your car, but with the car off, not running... You don't want to risk your car's alternator...
After 5 to 10 minutes, remove jumper cables and re attach the battery tender...
As others have said, it will take DAYS to fully charge at .75 amps, but it will eventually get the job done, unless the battery is totally hosed... Be prepared to replace the battery in the next year or two.
This has worked for me in the past on a couple occasions.

Back