free website stats program Battery/ Battery Tender | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery/ Battery Tender

You will get different voltage up an down its a common thing. If the bikes start ok i would not worry. When riding see if there is any change in the amp gauge plus or minus. As for the battery tender i think their not worth the money!
I live in Canada all i do is remove my battery and the old lady's too at the end of the season give them a good charge and store them where it,s warm. My battery is 7 years old and the wife's is 10 years with no problem. :small3d017:

Wow, do you like to play the lottery, too?

The overwhelming concensus on this forum is going to be that you're riding on borrowed time with batteries that old. Many times they'll give no indication they're about to give out until you attempt to start the bike. Hope you're not far from home when this happens!

I don't store my batteries inside where it's warm anymore. They lose their charge faster in the warm than in the cold, believe it or not. I used to take them out, charge them and store them inside where it was warm. I had a hard time getting some to take charge in the spring. Sometimes I would have to give them a rapid charge till they were bubbling before they would charge up properly.

Wow, do you like to play the lottery, too?

The overwhelming concensus on this forum is going to be that you're riding on borrowed time with batteries that old. Many times they'll give no indication they're about to give out until you attempt to start the bike. Hope you're not far from home when this happens!

WOW, I would not roll the dice on this one, as DR said, living on borrowed time, and pushing the charging system is pretty chancy IMO

Battery on my 04 FLTR went over 5 years and never was on a tender. Of course I rode it a lot too. Never sat more than just a few days without being riden. A friend got just over 7 years on his 2000 Road King. He to never used a tender, but rode it regularly.

I was wondering; has anyone considered using the new type "JELL SILL" BATTERIES that I know alot of us use in our old Hot Rods with great starting capacity.?? like the Optimum batteries....:small3d006::dknow

I have always used battery tenders on all of my sports!!! Then once i got the Classic i noticed the Tender plug on it from the factory,That told me that it is needed!!!! I sware by the Battery Tender!!!!

I have used a battery tender on My last 3 bikes over the winter.They are always ready to go when I need them.Even Harley recommends their use!Convenient way to keep battery in good condition.Highly recommend.:)

Back