free website stats program Balancing Baffles? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Balancing Baffles?

wilks3, I like your thinking. Your suggestion is probably the most rational, but, I had something else in mind and I'm prepared to buy another set of baffles if I foul these up...stay tuned!
dannyp, Part of my reasoning for the American Custom slip ons was for the looks. I wanted to keep the look of the originals but increase the performance and, get a nice rumble at the same time. I also saw the different size/length baffles used in dual pipes like yours. That's why I wondered if I could run a baffle in one pipe, and open in the other. Judging from input here I'm going to plan "B".
ricks2006, I don't know enough to disagree with you. I've read enough on this forum to think 2" is not for me. If I understand correctly, a baffle that size would increase performance mostly at the upper end of the RPM band. My goal is for better performance in the low to midrange areas.
Dr. Dolittle, OK, but you asked for it!

Current Set Up:
2009 Softail Custom
[URL="http://exit.hdtimeline.com/1postid339878"]Dobeck Electronic Jet Kit, Gen 3
[/URL]
American Custom, "The Bullet" for Softail
American Custom, Softail Baffles, "Mid Rumble"

The Problem:
Getting the right sound. According to the seat of my pants I am getting better performance. Now, I'd like a good tone somewhere between no baffles and Mid Rumble. Without baffles, at highway cruising speed there is a high pitched tone that would drive me nuts if I were on a long putt.

My Possible Solution:
Modify baffles to trap high pitched tones and let lower tones pass.

The baffles that I ordered have a small disc with a hole in it at the that blocks most of the exhaust from coming straight out. A majority of the exhaust has to go out of the small perforations of the baffle into another chamber between the baffle and the interior wall of the pipe, then return into the baffle downstream of the disc. It's a modified factory baffle. What if I directed more of the exhaust out of the baffles and never allowed any exhaust to go straight out the end?
I want to remove the disc completely and replace it with a spiral piece of sheet matal inside so that none of the exhast comes sraight out the pipe.

Crocker, I haven't changed anything about the length. I'm led to believe that the factory got that one right. Even so... Thank You for your input.

Plan B and a half...
Small change in plans based on the K.I.S.S. principal and related to the suggestion from wilks3. If you haven't already, please back up a few posts and find a link to the baffles. You will see several 1/8" perforations near the middle. Half of those have been opened up to 1/4". I will reinstall baffles tomorrow morning before work and give them a try. Will try to post on the results during my lunch time.

Well, that's interesting! I didn't get a significant increase in volume but, I did get a little more rumble. For my next trick, I'll drill out half of the remaining perforations. It might be a day or two before I can post again but I'll let you know what happens.
WAP.gif
Drilled out more of the 1/8th holes to 1/4". Maybe a mild increase in rumble. I think I'll leave it this way for a week or two. The weather report doesn't look good for the next 10 days or so. Might be a while longer before I can let you know of my progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drilled out more of the 1/8th holes to 1/4". Maybe a mild increase in rumble. I think I'll leave it this way for a week or two. The weather report doesn't look good for the next 10 days or so. Might be a while longer before I can let you know of my progress.

Good for you, a little at a time then test ride til u get it sweet, Best of luck to you, and you did it yourself way to go:D:D

Good for you, a little at a time then test ride til u get it sweet, Best of luck to you, and you did it yourself way to go:D:D

Thank You Jack! Pretty easy stuff so far. I might catch a break on my weekend and go for a little putt. If it doesn't clear up enough for a ride then I'll have a decision to make... Tinker around with the EJK in the "Hog Cave", or, install the intake kit waiting on the dining table.

OK, finally get a chance to post. The last drilling I gave to the baffles worked well. About 75% of the 1/8" holes have been opened to 1/4". The bike has a nice, mild, tone. It could probably use a little more volume but I think I'll keep it this way for a while.

Found time to install K&N intake kit. Look for results soon.

Cheers!

OK, finally get a chance to post. The last drilling I gave to the baffles worked well. About 75% of the 1/8" holes have been opened to 1/4". The bike has a nice, mild, tone. It could probably use a little more volume but I think I'll keep it this way for a while.

Found time to install K&N intake kit. Look for results soon.

Cheers!

Another happy ending, now rack up some miles and let us know how you like it, congrats on a job well done:s

Opps, forgot about this thread!

I've opened up the remaining perforations to 1/4". It caused a subtle lowering in tone without a huge increase in volume.

Been trying to study muffler design on the web and how to get the lower tones out. Not much luck so far.

Still a work in progress...stay tuned!

Just plugged the holes in the separator between the inlet and outlet ends of the baffles. I don't think this will increase my back pressure significantly. The hole was only 3/8" or 1/2" to begin with. Also, because all the perforations in the sidewalls of the baffles have been opened to 1/4" from 1/8". There seems to be another mild increase in the lower tones and a reduction in the higher notes. Takin' it out for a few hours for a road test soon.

==========================================================

Yesterdays road test went well. After modifications listed above I gained another increase in the low (Bass) tones. This is how I'm going to leave it for a while to see how I like it. I'm sure more results could be gained with more tinkering but, I'll stop here for now.

Would you buy the American Customs slip-ons again if you could start over. Thinking about getting them myself.

Probably not.

Looks (Factory)
Volume with "Mid Range" baffles installed.

Dislikes:
Tone...could be more Throaty
Fit of baffles...might have some exhaust gasses blowing by baffles causing the higher tones.

I'll keep them for now, however, I'll be modifying them more to try and get the tone I'm looking for. Still have a few ideas that I want to play with. Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye out for another set of slip ons that give me what I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Back