free website stats program baisley spring | Harley Davidson Forums

baisley spring

kemo

R.I.P
How does the Baisley spring increase o/p. Does it restrict the oil flow volume to increase the pressure. If it does restrict the flow I would think that the engine could starve for oil.

How does the Baisley spring increase o/p. Does it restrict the oil flow volume to increase the pressure. If it does restrict the flow I would think that the engine could starve for oil.

Here is the Baisley site:

Baisley Hi-Performance Oil Spring Product

This spring replaces the OEM spring putting pressure against the oil relief slider (plunger). The Baisley spring requires more pressure against the slider before opening and bleeding off some of the system pressure. I have installed the Baisley spring on my fairly stock '03 UC. I am very happy with the results.

TQ

anybody have a better answer. The way I see it the spring must put more tension on the plunger and restrict the flow to increase oil pressure. Can someone give me a good explanation please

Guys I your basic I'll change my oils kinda guy. Havent' tackled much more than installing chrome, battery, plugs, etc. Where is this spring and how big of a deal is it to install one?

The spring is in the cam support plate. Remove the cam cover, you might have to remove front exhaust pipe. There is a 1/8 inch roll pin you tap out and turn the spring out. If you want to remove the plunger and clean out the oil port you have to remove chain tensioner. Job should take a couple of hours depending on header pipe removal. Will increase the o/p at cruising about 10 lbs. The Baisley spring costs about $13. plus shipping

Since the new Harleys idle so high to maintain oil pressure. If you put the baisley spring on to bump the oil pressure up could you then take your bike to the dealer and get the idle dropped to around 800rpm to make it sound more like the older bikes at idle?

Since the new Harleys idle so high to maintain oil pressure. If you put the baisley spring on to bump the oil pressure up could you then take your bike to the dealer and get the idle dropped to around 800rpm to make it sound more like the older bikes at idle?

The high idle also keeps the battery power up too for the electronics and fuel pump in FI bikes.

The spring is in the cam support plate. Remove the cam cover, you might have to remove front exhaust pipe. There is a 1/8 inch roll pin you tap out and turn the spring out. If you want to remove the plunger and clean out the oil port you have to remove chain tensioner. Job should take a couple of hours depending on header pipe removal. Will increase the o/p at cruising about 10 lbs. The Baisley spring costs about $13. plus shipping
would a faulty spring or relief valve prevent oil from going to the oil filter.

would a faulty spring or relief valve prevent oil from going to the oil filter.

The slider (plunger) is held closed by the spring. When the bike starts from cold and the oil is thicker, the pressure is higher causing the spring to be compressed by the plunger under oil pressure. This relieves some of the pressure from the system through the oil bypass. If the plunger is jammed closed (by bits of something like pieces of the old chain tensioner shoes) there will be no pressure relief. If the plunger is jammed open, or the spring is weak allowing the plunger to open too easily, then the oil pressure is too low especially as the oil gets warm. Under extreme situations where the plunger is jammed open and the oil viscosity drops as it warms up, the oil pressure can drop dangerously low (mine actually dropped to zero). How much oil is still circulating in the system under this situation I do not know, but I would err on the conservative side and shut the engine down in this situation. With the plunger jammed open or with the OEM spring very weak, the pump is scavaging a significant about of oil from the oiling system. IMHO, this is a very bad situation and needs immediate attention.

TQ

Back