free website stats program Bags for '03 FXDL | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bags for '03 FXDL

My thanks to all who responded. Good info and pics. I'll figure something out eventually. I appreciate the help!

Now that I've got my J&S jack, I'm asking if anyone knows of a universal/aftermarket kit to relocate the rear turn signals to the rear fender AND make them also function as running lights? Any saddlebag I want to use requires the turn signals moved. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the HD 68732-02A, it sells for 62.40 at Zanottis.

r_w_b-albums-rear+turn+signal+relo+kit-picture5883-back_view_of_finished_relo_kit_now_to_get_fender_brace_hardware_changed_out_and_put_bag_braces_on_next.jpg

Zanotti part no search ->68732-02A
Price: $62.40
TURN SIGNAL BAR KIT

Keep in mind if you use this relo kit you will also have to purchase either a specific saddlebag kit OR for my Dyna I had to buy the HD part # 53975-06 sideplate hardware kit.
Zanotti search ->53975-06
Price: $31.15
KIT RIGID SIDEPLATE MO

This does 2 major items. One it supplies a inside fender brace that allows a larger dia. bolt to go in to accomodate bag mounts and replace the previous smaller turn signal bolt. And two it supplies the little chrome insert to hide the second hole of the previous turn signal. Again some saddlebag kits supply or deal with both of these area issues, just do your research.

On my Dyna the old bolt was so long I could not get it past the rear tire without taking both shocks loose to let the tire down even further so I cut them off with a 4" cut grinder.

To get running lights you will need to purchase a Run/Turn module (goes under seat). Mine is also an HD one but they sell everywhere by others.

I got one from Westend Motorsports, it is a laydown, plus turn signal relocation. Really happy with it.

Hey Dave,

Here are a few pics of my wife's '02 FXDL with Boss Bags.

rick1062-albums-rick%27s+bikes-picture7093-pc260020.jpg

rick1062-albums-rick%27s+bikes-picture7094-pc260023.jpg

rick1062-albums-rick%27s+bikes-picture7095-pc260029.jpg

They are a bit pricie, but hold up very well in all weather.

Rick
Ventura, CA

Thanks Rick. 1st pics I've seen for same bike. Looks good. I'd want a tad smaller bag for my need. Do both bags sit outside the shocks? Mount method? I appreciate the reply and the photos.

In my opinion, some of the best looking bags for a FXDL are from Fox Creek Leather or US Saddlebags. Both are contoured to fit on a FXDL even if you do not relocate your rear turnsignals. Both are also only approx 5" deep and while you cannot pack enough in them for an extended trip, there is more than enough room for what you might need on a day or weekend trip.

Both are somewhat pricey. I have bought things from Fox Creek (their saddlebags and/or a jacket may be next), and their products are very high-quality. They also have great customer service in case you have problems/questions. When I bought a vest from them, it was a bit too small. Fox Creek sent me a larger size that I got within 2 days and they said they would not charge my creadit card for it unless the original one was not received by them within 21 (or so) days.

I recently found US Saddlebags on the internet as I looked for alternatives to Fox Creek. Their stuff also looks very good and is a bit less expensive than Fox Creek.

I'd found Fox Creek when looking for a jacket. Very much like them. Looked-up US Saddlebags and like the throwovers for the DLR. Good price too at $244. Those are the size bags I want. Not certain I want leather tho......I'll ruminate on that some more. Thanks for the response.

Do both bags sit outside the shocks? Mount method?

Dave, yes the bags are mounted outside of the shocks. The mount is a quick detach setup from Boss Bags and works very well.

You also mentioned a turnsignal relocation kit. If you look at the pictures of the Boss Bags you will also see the lay down license plate/turnsignal relocation brakcet I have. I like the way it holds the lights in very tight to the fender and the same piece mounts the license plate in a lay down angle. It is from Bubba's. Below are a couple of pictures.

rick1062-albums-rick%27s+bikes-picture7096-lp_bkt5.jpg

rick1062-albums-rick%27s+bikes-picture7097-lp_bkt6.jpg

rick1062-albums-rick%27s+bikes-picture7098-lp_bkt7.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Rick
Ventura, CA

I like that kit, but can't find it. Uses OE turn-signal bodies? Got a link to the place? thanks

Dave, I bought the turnsignal/license plate kit directly from Bubba's in 2003, but I looked for it and can't find it either. But I did find another dealer that has some Bubba's products. The kit is there and here is the link.

Lay Down License Plate Bracket

It did take my original lights.

Good luck,

Rick
Ventura, CA

Back