free website stats program Backfiring | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfiring

PatFLH

Hi Friends, I recently picked up an 02 RoadKing classic with a stock 88. It has a Vance and Hines true dual exhaust. I took it to local Harley dealer for 10,000 mile service and general going over. Since then I have been getting a slight popping/backfiring through the exhaust. I imagine a stock air filter was installed at service. Can anyone recommend another air filter maybe more restrictive? or any other tips will be appreciatted Thank You

Hi Friends, I recently picked up an 02 RoadKing classic with a stock 88. It has a Vance and Hines true dual exhaust. I took it to local Harley dealer for 10,000 mile service and general going over. Since then I have been getting a slight popping/backfiring through the exhaust. I imagine a stock air filter was installed at service. Can anyone recommend another air filter maybe more restrictive? or any other tips will be appreciatted Thank You

I would take it back and find out what they did besides the air filter, I doubt this is the only cause of the backfiring JMO

Here is some air flow ratings.
Harley Davidson Community

When does it backfire? I'm assuming on decel so has extra fuel to pop. I doubt the dealer would set it too "rich" for the concern of breaking EPA standards and getting big fine.
So I agree with Jack and take it back and let them ride it.

What air filter was in it.? is there a air filter in the parts column of the paperwork. ? Most poping (if on decel) is from installation of free flowing air filter and pipes versus stock. Can't imagine HD putting anything but stock parts on. I would definitely go back and ask.

Back