free website stats program Backfire - Carb and Pipes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfire - Carb and Pipes

One negative though.. now that it is running so good (the engine) it makes some of the other little quirks more noticeable so I will getting into some additional things. I.E. I have detected a slight chatter in the main chain drive box... will start reading up on that next, I guess. With the help one gets on this Forum I'm not much afraid to tackle anything now!

Have a nice one!

As Glider said, check the adjustment of your tensioner shoe on the primary chain. Very easy to do, but if you have TORX screws on the access panel, they are probably 27s. Do NOT improvize with a smaller TORX bit or Allen head unless you have replacement screws. The adjustment is easy.

If that is not it, I suggest you get into the primary soon and make sure the compensator nut is torqued to spec (probably 150-165 ft-lbs - check your book). Also check that your clutch is torqued to spec, but remember that nut is a lefty. I use an old chain adjuster shoe to "jam" the chain at the gear, but any hard plastic piece will do as long as it is not brittle and won't break into chucks. Also look at the inside of the primary cover to see if it looks like something has been rubbing. If both nuts are OK, and the clutch pads have material on them (don't dissassemble, just look), then button it back up and use some good fluid in there. A fluid appropriate for the primary chain case would be best like Formula+ or Spectro Primary. If getting stuff there is a problem, then you may have to improvize with something appropriate for an automobile automatic transmission. Try to get around an 85W.

If you still have a minor amount of noise after doing all that, forget about it. You know the condition inside the primary case, and nothing is really wrong.

TQ

Thanks for the input on the primary side...

I have to drive up to one of our other orphanages today so won't be able to do anything until tomorrow... However... I have adjusted the Primary Chain and set it at 3/4 inch. The book calls for between 5/8 inch and 7/8 inch and the first time I checked it it was at 3/8". After I adjusted it (cold) to 3/4" I checked it at every two inches along the chain (rotating with the rear tire and the trannie in 4th gear) and I do have a consistent 3/4 inch through out.

Some fun to do all the things suggested already... looking forward to it!

Thanks... be back tomorrow!

Oowf, I completely understand, but for me, unless the bike gets to where I can't ride it, I don't want to take a chance of messing it up, :s, LOL, maybe in cooler weather (too close for me to like) but until then, I'm not going to 'create' any problems. :D I know me & my mechanical skills, I have potential, but I also have a history of not necessarily doing things the best way first! Also, yes this forum is great, I've learned more since January than I thought I would ever know about motorcycles, not to mention what I have learned from other peoples experiences. Have fun!

TQuentin1 and Glider...

You are going to get a kick out of this. It's Tuesday here and yesterday I drove a good portion of the day... had to go check on a new boiler installation at our other orphanage about two provinces away... So this morning I was rearing to get into the primary.. so I did... Trusty Service Manual (on laptop) sitting next to me... I opened her up... even got the two screws out (the long ones) that have to come out with the main case removal that are part of the chain inspection panel...

Found I didn't have a socket large enough for the compensator nut so had to delay a bit while I went and bought a 38 MM which fit really good. Lossened it up a very little bit and then torqued it to specs... removed the Jamnut, adjuster screw, retainer ring and release plate off the clutch and did the same thing with the clutch mainshaft nut... and was about happy... when I looked a little deeper in my Service Manaul and I got into checking the chain alighment and I got unhappy really fast...

Off of the Compensator gear I had .115 to square.. and off of the clutch hub gear I had .06 to square... the manual says I can have a tolerance of .03 and those numbers put me over .055..so I got into aligning the chain.

First problem is no Harley dealer within 5,000 miles or more of me... so where do I get the thicker hex spacer? Impossible... so I studied and studied the configuration and could not see for the life of me why the spacer needs to be hex in shape rather than round so (here is where I need you to pay close attention and tell me if I screwed up royally!) I went to my friend who has a machine shop and machined myself a spacer with an identical open diameter but round instead of hex in shape and made one 4.0 thick, one 5.5 thick... and one 7.5 thick.

Mathematically the 7.5 should have made things perfect because the existing hex spacer is 2 MM (5.5 +2 = 7.5) but after reinstalling everything and torqueing everything to specs I was off in the opposite direction so took everything out again and installed the 4.0 to see what that would do and that got me within tolerances according to the service manual.

Put everything back together with careful attention to torque requirements and loctite red and put in clean and fresh Formula + my friend sent over a few days ago from Texas... and cleaned her up and put my tools away... AND THERE IS ONE SOCKET I COULD NOT FIND!

I finally figured I must have left it in the case so apart it all came again... nope.. it wasn't there... back together again and still no 3/4" socket!

Went in to check on the Olympics cause it started raining and I coudln't ride... and there was one of my little ones enjoying the nice and shiney thing she found out by where her grandpa (that's what they call me) was working.

So, thanks so much for your adivce... will give her a spin tomorrow!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sounds like you got an education with the bike. Glad it turned out alright and you found the missing socket. One thing you may have overlooked is the locktite in the compensator nut.:naughty
I hope you put it on there.

I did... thank you!  I actually put it on both... 

Quick question Glider...

For example, when I was putting the compensator nut back on both the nut and the bolt were covered in oil. I cleaned them off really good before putting the loctite red on but I was just wondering as I did that if an oil residue on the threads would leave the loctite inefective?

Quick question Glider...

For example, when I was putting the compensator nut back on both the nut and the bolt were covered in oil. I cleaned them off really good before putting the loctite red on but I was just wondering as I did that if an oil residue on the threads would leave the loctite inefective?

Not Glider but ---- No the oil will not harm the loctite --- at least in my experience it hasn't.

Back