free website stats program AZ Fire | Harley Davidson Forums

AZ Fire

docster

Hwy. 191, AKA The Coronado Trail, AKA The Devil's Hwy. is closed due to a forest fire south of Alpine.

Hwy. 191, AKA The Coronado Trail, AKA The Devil's Hwy. is closed due to a forest fire south of Alpine.

The one down at the Chiricahua is a bad one.. Started by the YOU KNOW WHO'S.

They had to evacuate Portal.. Sad
I have not followed the the news on this one in a week or so.

Terrible DRY and not under control very easily.. There is some Nice timber up in the alpine area, and it is a shame and for the animals too..
Hope they get some RAIN to help out..

I saw the fires over by Show Low area years ago and Boy what damage that was..

I'm near the hgy 191 when in AZ. Sunsites on the map. I look right out west to Cochise Stronghold... Hopefully full time soon..

191 is a great scenic ride:D

signed....BUBBIE

Fire grew from 6,000 acres on Wednesday to 106,000 today. Alpine and Nutrioso evacuated plus all camp areas in the region. This is a bad one.

469,000 acres as of this morning. The firefighters did a magnificent job of securing Springerville/Eagar. Evac now rescinded, and people returning to their homes, albeit with warnings to those with respiratory problems. It's going to be surreal to ride the Trail once the road opens.

Another fire SW of me in my Az. location, Huachuca Mountains, said to be started by the You Know Who's.

Looking to see how big, bad this one gets... Mostly desert not a lot of trees like up in the High country. Moves fas as it is DRY down there..

Any updates would be appreciated Posted here.. Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Arizona and Florida both under severe wild fires this summer, Be careful out there, Today lots of ash in the air here in Florida, I saw Arizona on the news last night, you guys and gals have it bad so be safe

Bubbie,
I used to live on Ft Huachuca when Dad was stationed there. Graduated from Buena High in ’71. Have good memories hiking in the mountains, dirt riding around the San Pedro, the lake at Patagonia and rabbit/peccary hunting with my Dad. Take care out there in AZ.
Russell

We had the opportunity to ride the Coronado Trail last week. These photos are typical of the burned areas.

We saw the first burned areas about 20 miles south of Hannagan Meadow. Talked to the owner there, reviewed his photo album, and listened to his stories. His lodge and property was untouched but the fire was almost to his property line. The lodge itself was used as a command center and many of the firefighters camped or were housed and fed there. Per the Tucson and Phoenix papers, the lodge was 'burned to the ground'.

The meadow photo shows how the fire jumped from place to place, burning some areas completely, causing only heat damage a few feet away, and sparing entire sections. This is a pattern we saw all the way along, much burned but much spared. A lot of the ground level fuel load was burned away which should, in the long run, make for a healthier forest. It was not the 'moonscape', as described.

The town of Alpine was mostly spared, with five buildings (sheds and small cabins) the only damage. This, per the locals. What they did suffer was flooding and mud flows from the rains that came after the fire was extinguished. Escudilla Mountain, just north of Alpine, was mostly burned and the mountain just to the west of town was burned. The white trunk trees near the top are aspens and in many places have put up new shoots. The darker area below was ponderosa pines and the area just below them shows more heat damage from the ground level fire.

The fire approached Eagar and Springerville, but stayed in the mountains a mile or so to the south. Alpine is roughly 20 miles north of Hannagan Meadow and Eagar is another 25 miles north.

We also rode over to the town of Greer. Several houses were lost but none that could be seen from the road. The fire seemed to burn along the ridges and upper slopes and found the isolated cabins.

The news recently reported the arrest of two men for abandoning their still-burning campfire, the suspected cause of the Wallow Fire.

Attachments

• Typical hillside.JPG
    Typical hillside.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Along the Trail.JPG
    Along the Trail.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Meadow on the Coronado Trail.JPG
    Meadow on the Coronado Trail.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 10
  • West of Alpine.JPG
    West of Alpine.JPG