free website stats program Average MPG? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Average MPG?

Well, I put about 220miles on the bike in the past two days and calculated it against the amount of fuel i pumped into the tank. I will add that i reset the mixture screw to about 3&1/8th turns out (that was real close to in between where the engine studders, and where i felt it idled best) and toned down the idle a fuzz. Just working out the kinks of tearing apart the carb and putting it back together. In the 220 miles i drove I used 5.3 gallons... I will add that twice i floored it and rolled off at 60mph in 3rd gear to see if it would studder or surge. It did neither. But anyway... If my math is somewhat decent i'm getting 41.5 mpg on average... I'm happy with that :) Its about a 6mpg difference.

Well, I put about 220miles on the bike in the past two days and calculated it against the amount of fuel i pumped into the tank. I will add that i reset the mixture screw to about 3&1/8th turns out (that was real close to in between where the engine studders, and where i felt it idled best) and toned down the idle a fuzz. Just working out the kinks of tearing apart the carb and putting it back together. In the 220 miles i drove I used 5.3 gallons... I will add that twice i floored it and rolled off at 60mph in 3rd gear to see if it would studder or surge. It did neither. But anyway... If my math is somewhat decent i'm getting 41.5 mpg on average... I'm happy with that :) Its about a 6mpg difference.

When I had my Sporty a couple months, I changed my plugs, air cleaner, engine & gear oil, gained 6 mpg...you bet the subtle things can make a big difference. After I did the brakes, gained another 2-3 mpg; I am now sitting at 47 mpg mixed city and hwy, but have hit 55 mpg freeway only, cruising at 65-70 in 5th on my Sporty riding 325 miles (on two fillups so no doubt).

'05 EG with AN Big Sucker Air Cleaner, V & H Slip Ons, NGK plugs 1 step cooler than recommended, some tools and supplies in the saddlebags and Tour Pak; on the highway doing 60-70 mph I'll get 48 MPG; in town about 38 mpg. Don't ride hard or accelerate fast--ride it like I want it to last....

Probably get 50 mpg if I keep the hwy speed under 60

Back