free website stats program Are there serious problems with twin-cam engines? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Are there serious problems with twin-cam engines?

I've been at the same dealership since 1998. While I have seen all the failures he talks about, the ratio of issues to total bikes sold is small, with the exception of the 99-06 cam chain tensioners. Lots I them. Easily fixed, so not that big of a deal. The 15 touring models are the best handling/power from the factory ever. If I were to buy a new bike and ask them to change certain items, I would expect them to give me my take off parts, since no one offers credit for stock exhaust, air cleaner, etc. I would then either give away those parts or stow them untill I sold that bike, in case the new owner wanted that stuff.
HTH

That article has been around almost as long as the Twin Cam motor, do not pay it any mind. Sure, there have been issues associated with specific model years; the twin cam motor was designed by engineers, assembled by guys/gals like you and me with parts made by guys/gals like you and me and ultimately ridden and maintained by guys/gals like you and me. So, can things go wrong? You bet; however, when you consider the number of motorcycles sold compared with those with issues resulting from design and/or manufacturing flaws are hardly measurable in spite of what one might read on HD forums. Very few forum members post threads about how happy they are with their Twin Cams but everyone with an issue does post.

Buy what you want and, if concerned about issue, purchase the extended warranty. Personally, I would be looking for a low mileage pre-owned. If a softails, the Fatboy, if touring an FLHT, Electra Glide Standard, IMHO, those two are the best platforms to build on.
WAP.gif

I have 80,000 miles on my 1999 Ultra. Replaced the tensioners at about 55,000 . They were pretty much toast. Didn't have any problems before I replaced them and haven't had any since. I do maintain my rides and also don't beat them. There are cold days in the winter when I wouldn't even think of trying to start my Shovelhead or Flathead. The Ultra always starts. Gotta love that Twin Cam engine with FI.

Back