free website stats program Appraising a Harley Davidson | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Appraising a Harley Davidson

Remember when you are estimating the value of your bike that when you put add-on chrome that is replacing a stock part, that you only have to insure the different between the replacemnt cost and the OEM part. You've already insured the OEM part as part of the base cost. (This applies to new bikes of course.)

You know all this talk about insurance is making me want to go ride!!!! (but not before I check if my insurance covers it!!)

I like my insurance agent, she is a friend of the family, but like I tell her, I wish she was in a different business as I hate who she works for. I write her some pretty big checks every three months and it is basically for nothing. In the 10 years I have been driving professionally and in the last 3 especially with commercial insurance I feel like I throw gobs of money away. I know, I know about the other side of this argument, being that if something were to happen they have my butt covered, but I have paid a lot of money to my company and I have had one insurance payout in the past 16 years of my driving for a total of $2000. I am one of the many that pay way more in insurance than I will ever see from the company. I have been in accidents that weren't my fault, and I have laughed the whole way to the bank with the other parties insurance check. I realize this is totally off the subject of apprasials, but I thought I would add my two dollars, as two cents won't even get you a piece of penny candy these days!!

Well Klanch, I sincerely hope that you are always paying more for Insurance than you are collecting. That means that no bad experiences have come your way.
However, that could all be out the window in less than a heartbeat!
Guess ya pays yer money...and ya takes yer chances, and hope it all turns out ok.

Gs that is I guess the best way to look at it. I guess in a sue crazy soceity you need insurance. Ambulance chasing attorneys made it that way. It just sucks for my wallet, and I'm sure yours. I'm not a gambling man, so I grit my teeth and write out the check. It is sure fun banter with my agent too, I always get her all worked up when I start on this subject.

The person who I really feel bad for is my dad, he has been driving about 42 years and has never had an insurance payout, EVER! I'm glad nothing has ever happened to him, but I can see his side. "All that money for nothing, Johnny" He has had a couple of fender benders in his day too and has always paid them out cold cash as he is terrified they will raise his rates and report it on his MVR (he's a CDL holder) I tell him to call safe auto every time the conversation comes up, but he insists on staying with his company. I tell him if he's never gonna claim anything, what good is it to have all the coverage? He of course like any good father says, "you never know, Boy, you just never know" I've been a dad for only 5 years so I guess I have something to learn on the life advise department, but I'm slowly getting there.

Back