free website stats program Anything special about going on trip | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anything special about going on trip

The last really long trip my wife and I took we brought along a chain to lock the bike up at night. We were never sure exactly where we were going to stop for the night, and this made me feel a bit more secure that the bike would be there in the morning.

Also, keep the rain gear accessible, last thing you want to do is dig through your pack on the side of the road in the rain.

You'll have a blast, there is nothing like a road trip.

This is just me being over the top but I always worry about a tire blowout when traveling at hi speeds with a full load and the wife on the back. So I did some research and came across a tire additive called Ride-ON tire sealant. If I do lose tire pressure from a puncture traveling at a hi rate of speed I hope this might give me a fighting chance to get the bike stopped safely, and maybe even get to a shop for a new tire. I like to take 30 days off for good behavior and travel around a bit in the summer time as well. Good luck to both of you.:)

The only thing I will add now is that over the years, we have FINALLY stopped packing a different shirt for each day. You can always find a laundromat. Plus, part of the fun of Harley ownership is visiting dealers along the way and picking up a new shirt. Another guy I know left home here in Central WI and went to the west coast, then south to the border. Then headed east through Texas and Louisiana. He eventually rode north up the Tail of the Dragon. What did he pack? A toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. And one pair of jeans and one t shirt, along with socks. As he traveled, he tossed his old shirt, etc away and bought new ones. So, he didn't take along any shirt he really wanted to keep. It works for him- I know it wouldn't for my wife. I hope you have a fabulous trip.

i have a friend who packs old underwear and throws them out each day. load gets lighter and he gets room for t-shirts if he wants. guess this will work for old socks, too. a flat newspaper in the bottom of the tour pak works wonders if caught in rain and you get wet boots. ball up the paper and shove it in the boots. change out 2x overnight and the boots will be dry by morning.

i have a friend who packs old underwear and throws them out each day. load gets lighter and he gets room for t-shirts if he wants. guess this will work for old socks, too. a flat newspaper in the bottom of the tour pak works wonders if caught in rain and you get wet boots. ball up the paper and shove it in the boots. change out 2x overnight and the boots will be dry by morning.

Good tip, IF only I could throw old sox and drawers away.:laugh

Back