free website stats program Anyone tried this kind of oil cooler? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anyone tried this kind of oil cooler?

Before I installed the billet cooler my bike was so hot when running that the heat coming off the motor was extreme and uncomfortable. After the install
I do not feel heat coming off my motor at all. So for me it works very well. My thought is some bikes may not get the same air flow to the oil filter and not
work as well. At this time I do not have an oil temperature gauge. When I do I will record the temperature ranges you requested and post them on this thread.

A full flow through oil cooler will lower oil temps approximately 10*-15* whereas the convection unit you are speaking of here is not a flow through but a heat sink. I find it difficult to fathom that this type of heat sink installed on the oil cooler would make that much of a noticable difference in radiated heat of the bike.
As mentioned earlier, my experience with this type of unit did not result in a noted difference at all.
I'm glad it worked well for you but I can't agree with your statement of " I do not feel heat coming off my motor at all."

I probably should have said in comparison to the way it was before
or that I do not notice it. I do feel heat if I put my gloved hand on the motor.

Still testing the fan it has not been hot enought yet to give a true test in temp reduction. I have noted it moves a lot of air across the fins.
used it has a hand warmer yesterday.

Sarge..hows the horn on that unit? I seen them for sale at a rally down in Texas. The gentleman selling them mention to me when they install the unit they relocate the horn..I ask him if the horn wasn't with the unit. He told me they had a problem with the horn so the last bunch he ordered from the manufacture don't have the horns but a horn relocate kit..to be honest the horn relocate was ugly as heck!....Unfortunately we have folks in our area who would much rather talk on their cell phones than pay attention of the road. I have found myself revin my engine and blowing the horn more than I care to. So I know we must have horns...would you believe I seen a bike with a set of train air horns fitted under a bike..not sure where the little compressor was but trust me his horns gets folks attention...lol ..also you could not even see the horns...btw I have the Harley air horn..was that a waste of 179.00 dollars plus another 40.00 for a kit to complete the installation....again I did this before I found this site to ask the questions...

I did not mean create any controversy. This is a technical site and I was looking for something more technical other than "it works good."

Enough said and sorry if I offend anyone !

Dan

No problems here Dan. That's how we learn about things is to post a question here. I like to see some things to back up a statement myself.

The redline shockproof heavy is another good product. The viscosity index is a bit higher than other brands (75/250 rated yet has the lower internal fluid friction of a 75W90) with the redline and it will cling to things like you can't believe for years if you don't clean it before storing it. It's an amazing gear oil, I used it for quite a while before the spectro.

I know I am new new to this site but just about everything I have read here has been just people's opinions without any proof or data to back
it up. Some of the information is wrong without anyone bothering to see if is valid. Just re posting what someone else wrote does not make it true.

I probably should have said in comparison to the way it was before
or that I do not notice it. I do feel heat if I put my gloved hand on the motor.

I think you fail to realize that the sportsters run significantly cooler than the big twins and that the cool collar will not do close to what a flow through cooler will accomplish on any bike. You should by all rights feel heat when you put your gloved hand on the motor if it has been run recently.

I know I am new new to this site but just about everything I have read here has been just people's opinions without any proof or data to back
it up. Some of the information is wrong without anyone bothering to see if is valid. Just re posting what someone else wrote does not make it true.

I would like to ask you here to show me some posts that were posted with incorrect info in them that you can verify was incorrect.
We try to dispel any bad info on the forum so that the members will not be lead down the wrong path and make mistakes that will be passed on to the the next person. If you notice that in regard to your post, that I replied that I saw no difference in the installation on a friends bike. That was tested using an oil temp gauge and I do not have the numbers written down but I do know that there was such a small difference in temps that it made the purchase of this unit a waste of money. The flow through units that will make a difference because of the air flowing through the core of a multi cored unit are worth 10*+ reduction in temps, but a simple heat sink will make little or no noticable oil temp difference that is noticable. The next question is would this unit be worthwhile getting as a little difference is better than nothing....only you can answer that.
I personally would go for a flow through unit as opposed to this cool collar if I wanted to remove some heat from the oil and have it work efficiently.

I would like to bring up another point here about the chrome covers that are used to dress up the voltage regulator. These have been the cause of more than one regulator going bad because of the air flow being diverted from the fins of the regulator to cool it. When I compare the theory of this voltage regulator cover to the heat sink effect of the cool collar, maybe you can point out the difference to me so that I can understand where it is?
I have only just started working on bikes, basically for the past 35 years or so, but I am willing to listen and learn to any and all theories about bikes and how the related systems work aside from what works better than others.:hii I look forward to your reply.

Back