free website stats program Anybody know the Life span of a battery? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anybody know the Life span of a battery?

The automobile must never be running if you must use this option. This will destroy the diodes in the voltage regulator/rectifier and this component is expensive.

How do you know if you Messed anything up?

The automobile must never be running if you must use this option. This will destroy the diodes in the voltage regulator/rectifier and this component is expensive.

How do you know if you Messed anything up?

You will have a dead battery because the charging system isn't working as it should.

I'm impressed with how long some of the folks have gotten out of their battery! For me, 3 or maybe 4 years, is about normal (stock hd battery).

IMO a Battery Tender is one of the ways to ensure your battery will last longer.

Maybe it's because I always bought Sears batteries, but I always replaced them at around 14 - 16 months. I never had one last 2 years. On the other hand, they're relatively cheap, so I guess I came out about even.
This was on an 86 fxrs, btw.

I'm now looking at replacing the battery on my 03 rg. As far as I know, it's the original. It's getting hard to start if I don't ride it every day, and while I might coax a bit more out of it with a tender, 5+ years is pretty much at the far end of things, and I don't want to get caught somewhere. It's not like the old bike, which could always be pushed a bit to get it going.

08 Deluxe Switch Got left on. I tried Jumping it off But No luck. I've hooked it up to a battery tender and it finally is Taking a Charge. Lights a Security Works But NO CRANK YET......:51: :newsmile08: :bigsmiley33:

Thanks
MüTtLaNgE
I bought my 99 softail new and every 4 years my battery had to be changed that I bought from Harley. Not much cost difference but it was a Gel cell. I could almost count on it going out in 4. Mickeh

believe it or not it was made by Harley, or so it says on the battery, who knows who really built it. i did the cardinal sin to ruin it, i jumped the battery from my car, it never was the same after that.

i sure bought another one, i couldnt believe the time i got out of it, so i guess it is what they say, you pay for what you get, HD batteries are not cheap, but if i have to buy one every 10 years it will pay for itself, no problem with that. just ride fast, watch out for the 4 wheelers,

Well, the battery on my kids 96 FatBoy just gave up the ghost on Saturday.:newsmile07: This is only the 2nd battery since the bike was new, and it was installed in 2001. :swoon
It was never on a tender, was used and abused, run down and recharged, and would still crank the bike....but not very fast...or not very long! :panic
He decided that it would be better to not take a chance on streaching it any further!:small3d007:
These kids are so wise!!:pelao

Back