free website stats program any down side to abs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

any down side to abs

I am not a fan of ABS as I have stated in the past,I would much rather rely on my own reflex and ability and be able to brake that bit harder when I KNOW I can,not have a machine tell me I'm not allowed to.But to each his own.:s

A few times before when i had it fire i thought dang i didnt think i was that hard on the brakes to get them to fire.. now in stop in normal conditions not jamming the brake all of a sudden you can almost not get the abs to fire unless you are standing on them ..

the Pulsing of the pedal is faster i was say 2-3 times faster but not as hard doesnt disturb ya as much ..

They still fire of course when you hit a bump and unload the rear tire but not as long as before ..

you can feel the difference in the pedal compared to the way it worked before and now when it fires pedal doesn't feel soggy either like most abs im guess thats way it pulses..

I like it better nwo than the way it was .. i would say 95% of the time it wont go off now just that 5% where any rider could probley use it

Hi Bud, I heard about this thread on another forum. I also thought my ABS kicks in too soon and was wondering if the download you got is the same one that's listed in this H-D service bulletin M1239? You can see it at this link:

M1239.pdf

View attachment M1239.pdf

Greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else who has gotten the download can confirm this. Thanks.

Hi Bud, I heard about this thread on another forum. I also thought my ABS kicks in too soon and was wondering if the download you got is the same one that's listed in this H-D service bulletin M1239? You can see it at this link:

M1239.pdf

View attachment 4526

Greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else who has gotten the download can confirm this. Thanks.

Since that doesnt say much it could be

The only down side to ABS is if you don't have them.
I read an artical the other day (don't remember where) but ti was from the Department of Transportation and Safety Board. It stated that although more data is needed, the early reports are that bikes with ABS are 40% less likely to be involved in an accident.

I am absolutely convinced ABS kept me out of the hospital when I did a panic stop to avoid a flock of sandhill cranes who moved onto highway 60 in front of me on my way to the Leesburg bike fest last April.

Longer stopping distance than non ABS brakes.

I guess I should qualify that statement. Guys like glider can take it or leave it. I don't have gliders experience and skill level. I'm not that experienced, I rode a bike for a couple of years 30 years ago, sold it before I got married, then 4 years ago realized how much I missed it (amazing how divorce puts life in perspective) and reentered the motorcycle world. I've had two close calls requiring maximum braking. On the Road King without abs locked up the rear brake fishtailed but recovered and stopped in time. On the ultra with abs smooth stop in time. I'm a believer in abs.

Longer stopping distance than non ABS brakes.

i dont really agree with that, the abs allows you to use all the tyres grip, up to the point they start to squeak. it lets you to break as hard as the bike can, and testing by not just HD shows a more consistent stopping distance, that is 3 or 4 bike lengths shorted than non abs. it just sounds a bit yuck when it kicks in.

I like this particular section:

However, cars with anti-lock brakes are up to 65% more likely to be in fatal crashes than cars without them, says a new US study. It appears that the problem isn't with the technology, it's poor driving habits and lack of driver awareness on how the brakes operate. Driver who rely on technology instead of better driving habits to improve safety are driving down a dangerous road.

It's what a few of us have been saying for a while:s

I'm not interested in starting an argument regarding abs. It's an individual choice. However the third link in Gliders post say test data on wet roads abs bike stopped shorter than conventional bikes with experienced riders. Also regarding my post about panic stops part of the credit for my ultra stopping so quickly has to be those brembo brakes - I really like them.

Back