free website stats program Anti-seize on muffler pipe flange? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Anti-seize on muffler pipe flange?

I have been a big fan of anti seize for decades. Like others have said, using a very small amount will fascilitate muffler removal. Muffler clamps on Harleys are good for just a few uses, at best. I have found that using a small amount on the threads of the muffler clamps will usually help in removal. If the clamp comes off easier it is not as likely to be stretched which makes it not as likely to break when it is torqued back down to about 40 lbs or so. If the clamp is twisted, it will either break when reinstalled or will not tighten down sufficiently which leads to a leak between the pipe and the muffler which results in popping on deceleration. A little anti seize goes a long, long ways; always use sparringly. Messy too.

Oh yeah, forgot to say I put a leeetle bit of the hi-temp stuff on the spark plugs too. As retrop said a little bit goes a long way.

The canned stuff I get has a little brush on a stick built into the cap whih does cut down on the mess a bit.

I used Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp silicone (got @ Checker Auto Parts for $5) on my slip-on's. Of course, my 09 SG is only a month old so removing the stock pipes was easy. This way there shouldn't be any problems if I ever decide to change pipe's again. Also, make sure you don't over torque the clamps b/c it can crimp the header & cause leaking.

Back