free website stats program Another stupid question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another stupid question

If I get the filter off without leaking oil onto the bike parts, I typically end up dropping the filter, or kick the oil pan, or knock over a bottle of oil. No matter what, I end up cleaning up something. I try to be neat but it never seems to work out. Last time, I kid you not, a bird flew into my garage and touched down for a second in the oil pan, with the old oil. I had oil everywhere. Even on the flourescent lights. Sheesh.

Now I just take the filter off and clean up the with some canned cleaner. By the powers of the universe, it seems to keep my issues localized.

For me...oil change mess boils down to how "little" to spill b/c no matter how hard you try - some will leak. I use the "punch hole in filter" trick to get most out & then form small piece of tin foil underneath to act as funnel. Works pretty good & once done I hit the area a bit with my pressure washer (degreaser soap) at low pressure to get everything rinsed off. Works good & very little mess leftover...

I wrap a large zip-loc bag around the entire filter as I unscrew it. Filter and oil drop into the bag and you can seal it and toss it. It's pretty hot but I haven't had one melt through the bag...yet!

My way is very similar to Dr.Doolittle's. This works with a WARM, not HOT exhaust. I slip a plastic grocery bag over the filter and work it up tight to the engine case at the filter base, and tie the handles around the front exh. pipe. Then I cut the end off the bag and unscrew my previously loosened filter and toss it. All the oil gets trapped in the bag. NOW, either carefully untie the bag from the exhaust and gently remove it and the oil (50/50 chance you'll spill some) or better way, is push the open end of the bag down by the motor mount, and the oil will drain into a catch pan. Then untie and pull bag away from motor.

I get one of those red baron pizza type box's, or the like, cut it to size and wrap it with aluminum foil. Bend it to a semi circle shape to the right form where it slides in under the oil filter.

Take a small awl punch, I got a 9" one that came in a set of 3 at Sears, and punch a small hole into the base of the filter. I then let the oil drain down my pizza box contraption and into a pan. Come out next morning, break the filter loose and not had a drop of oil drip onto the front motor mount when I do it this way. Trick is to let it drain overnite if you have the time to do it that way.

I have used a 20 oz. pop bottle cutting off one side and most of the bottom (leaving about 1/8" lip at the bottom and the top intact). I slip the bottle under the filter far enought to catch all the oil when I loosen it with the filter removal tool.

Ditto for "Iceman". My neighbor does it the same way but opens filter box to shape a trough from under filter to out past frame, pokes a hole in filter to drain it and has very little cleanup. Works like a charm.

Back