free website stats program Amsoil question | Harley Davidson Forums

Amsoil question

sgmfisher

I just put Amsoil in all three holes on my '06 Wide Glide. Not sure now it was wise as a company man told me that Spectro HD Platinum in motor, Spectro HD Platinum 6 speed in the box, and Spectro HD Primary oil would have probably been better choices. Someone help me out a little here if you can. In the wind.

Pops

I have read alot on this subject befor I switched to Amsoil from SE oil. And from reading all the information I found that amsoil is better for your bike. I run it in my bike and have not had any problems, the motor also runs cooler. I'v taken temps befor and after the switch. Either way both good products, so you can't go wrong.

If you put Amsoil engine oil in all three - I'd say it's OK, but not the most recommended product(s). IMO, engine oil is for engines, GO is for transmission & primary oil for the clutch. All are blended/produced w/different factors & work for each specific application. I wouldn't make any changes until next scheduled service.

After I got my bike one of the first things I did was do the same as you, Amsoil in all 3. The clunking in the tranny was significantly less.

After finding this site and lots and lots of research I switched to Spectro. I must say I was not impressed so I went back to Amsoil as it is much easier to find.

We could debate this topic until the end of time. From what I can tell, you are good with any of the reputable company's out there.

Rather then get into ANOTHER debate over brands, I suggest the following guidance:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W-50 Vtwin engine oil designed for air cooled engines.
Tranny: FULL synthetic GL-5 75W-140 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose wet-clutch chaincase lube (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, etc.)

Do whatever research you want, including checking out the reams of discussion about everyone's likes and dislikes here on the Forum. Then decide for yourself.

TQ

I still don't understand. According to my service manual, the transmission and primary fluid is the same:
Genuine Harley-Davidson Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant 99851-05 x 1 QT Bottle

I still don't understand. According to my service manual, the transmission and primary fluid is the same:
Genuine Harley-Davidson Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant 99851-05 x 1 QT Bottle

Right. On the Sporties, you only have two applications.

TQ

Back