free website stats program Amazing bare aluminum wheel cleaner! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Amazing bare aluminum wheel cleaner!

This may be worth consideration???

Powder Coat alternative for Wheels

Sounds like a "salt in the air" from the ocean situation, but why only "south of North Carolina"? Wouldn't the entire west coast, as well as the east coast, and the states on the Gulf Coast experience the same thing?

Same goes for our U.K. friends, and most Australian riders.

Most likely it was an inferior Clear Coat - either in the application, or the materials used - from the OEM wheel factory. Where were the Wheels made?
I would think that if the protective coating is performed properly, with the correct materials, and it provides a true 100% "seal" against moisture and air migration, it should do the job.

Bob

The problem with coatings in these corrosive environments when applied perfectly, all it takes is one chip from a stone etc. The corrosion gets underneath and it's all down hill from there. The fork sliders is a prime example.

The problem with coatings in these corrosive environments when applied perfectly, all it takes is one chip from a stone etc. The corrosion gets underneath and it's all down hill from there. The fork sliders is a prime example.

I hear ya'. Sounds like an extremely frustrating challenge.

Bob

My sportster has the clear on some of the engine components and it does not last long before corrosion like a spider web builds under the clear so after the second time of stripping the clear off i just left the metal bare and i use an alloy wheel cleaner that is sprayed on leave for a wee while and wash off then use autosol for a good shine and a wee bit of pledge on the top i do the primary, gear case, rocker covers, and fork lowers twice in a season and it holds up ok perhaps one day i will try the clear coat again
Most of the roads follow the coast line and in the colder weather get their own special coating of salt on a near daily basis

Brian

My sportster has the clear on some of the engine components and it does not last long before corrosion like a spider web builds under the clear so after the second time of stripping the clear off i just left the metal bare

Brian

Exactly! Starts like a spider web! I've looked closely at lots of different bikes from different manufacturers that have the clear coated aluminum and they all do the same thing. My last bike was, forgive me, a Yamaha V-Max and it had the same problem. Chipped clear coat doesn't help but it's not the root cause, there were problems at the top of the motor (valve covers) where there's no way a stone could get to it that corroded anyways. It gets started at corners, like where the clear coat meets an edge where a gasket surface begins. Beats me why it is supposedly more of a problem in the generally warmer climates. Higher average humidity? All I know is that I'm really glad H-D chose to skip the clear! If those rims were clearcoated I would not have bought my bike with them on it. So, where do I get some of this "Teflon spray" I'm currently giving the "S100 corrosion protectant":D

Back