free website stats program Am I possibly creating bigger issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I possibly creating bigger issues

bignew

I recently purchased a new bike and I took off the hardbags and seen that they had probably never been removed to clean. The worst area was the back of the pipes. After cleaning with Blue Magic chrome cleaner then taking Never Dull to it there are still some really small flecks of rust or things imbedded in the chrome. By continuing to try and clean this up with the Never Dull will I just add more scratches that will rust? None of this can be seen with the hardbags removed and definitely not with them when installed. I don't mind putting the labor in to get them clean I just don't want to do more harm. Nobody can see it but I will know that it is there.

thanks

Any better products out there that I'm not using that would work good on grim without being real abrasive?

You can try spraying the rusty area with PB Blaster,Zep or even WD 40.These products will loosen small rust deposits.Spray the area and let it sit for a while.

Its worth a shot.

This stuff will work

COLONEL BRASSY METAL CLEANER POLISH SILVER GOLD 16 OZ. - eBay (item 170513259839 end time Aug-12-10 16:25:51 PDT)

I posted this a week or so ago. I would only use it on the pipes and the harder more durable chrome rather than the thin stuff. I think it may leave scratches on the more delicate chrome parts, like around the speedo. I am not positive on that, but I would use it with caution!! I did use it onmy pipes, heat shields and rims and they were a mess. It did not get it all, but with some elbow grease, I was literally cleaning the rust deposits right off. This is the best stuff I have ever used. I am also a big fan of the Blue Magic and this stuff blows that away. This stuff goes on in liquid form and then turns pasty and starts to flake off.

If you have cleaned with a good chrome polish and you still have flecks of rust i would assume that this is pitting where the metal under the chrome is rusting in small pits no amount of polishing will remove the pitting as it is holes in the chrome through to the metal underneath
to prevent it spreading heat up the affected area (blowtorch) then fill the pits with epoxy i use araldite and use a fine grit wet and dry to smooth off
this will not remove the pitting but only stabilise to prevent it spreading

Brian

WAP.gif

I must agree. After all. they say "great minds think alike." :p

Speechless but, still feel what he said,..! LOL :newsmile075:

Clean the rust and put high temp grease back there, pipes get hot but by the time they are way back, the grease will inhibit rust, the traces left will be just enough to make cleaning easier the next time you wipe and regrease. It may darken, but just like a "seasoned" pan...back where you can't see it, but preserving and preventing rust nontheless.

Back