free website stats program Am I a Harley rider now? | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I a Harley rider now?

Sharky1948

Being a relatively new Harley rider with only 1400 miles on my Sportster and not having ridden in 35 years, I was kind of pleased to hear the pegs scrape a couple of times today. Guess I'm learning to trust the little darlin' . :bigsmiley16:

Just dropped that lady over and made the turn? You da man! Seriously, it takes more confidence to put one over into a turn at slow speeds. You KNOW what you are about to do. Way to go!

Storm

Storm is very right! Dragging pegs at slow speeds requires much more skill...

When I leave my home ..about a quarter mile from my home we have a nasty 90 plus degree curve..ya gotta take it very slow ..the first time I scrapped ( on accident lol)..My wife said in a most innocent way.."What was that"..I said oh nothing as my heart was beating about 120 beats per second!..lol Scared me to death!..lol since and only when I'm by myself I do it..lol..Love it..but even when i try seems I can't do it every time...I'm chicken I think are maybe just old and wiser..lol Naw!!!!:D

Truth in advertising.... Have only scraped the left peg. I'm not as confident turning to the right. As soon as the sand is off the parking lots, it's time to got out and put up the tennis ball halves again.

Of course you know when I see Glider out on the twisties that I'll be overshooting turns and wobbling at stop signs! That's just the way it is! (And, it will give him another opportunity to poke fun at my little Sportster! :p)

I love the Harley jokes, which I think are from the Metric riders for the most part.

Being a partime metric guy myself, (I ride a Boulevard) depending on the type riding I want to do at the time. To me, it's like having a bass boat and a yacht, both are good for what they are intended.

Anyway, below is one of the metric definitions of a "Harley Rider", as questioned by the previous poster, enjoy..:bigsmiley20:

You know you're a Harley rider if...

...you're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.

...you confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term "engineering flaws".

..."water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain, waiting for a wrecker.

"Truth in advertising.... Have only scraped the left peg. I'm not as confident turning to the right."

I know the reason!!!

Take a piece of notebook paper punch a small hole in it with a pencil then hold it out with both hands at arms length. Pull the paper up to your face looking thru the hole at an object you can see. I bet it goes to your left eye. You are left eye dominate. You must turn your head to turn to the right so you can make the turn with the confidence that you make left turns with.

All people have one eye dominate and you must know which eye. That way you can concentrate to eliminate seeing problems. Hope that helps you or anyone. This is why cagers will pull out in front of us from a stop sign. They just give it a quick look and don't turn their head far enough to actually see us.

"Truth in advertising.... Have only scraped the left peg. I'm not as confident turning to the right."

I know the reason!!!

Take a piece of notebook paper punch a small hole in it with a pencil then hold it out with both hands at arms length. Pull the paper up to your face looking thru the hole at an object you can see. I bet it goes to your left eye. You are left eye dominate. You must turn your head to turn to the right so you can make the turn with the confidence that you make left turns with.

All people have one eye dominate and you must know which eye. That way you can concentrate to eliminate seeing problems. Hope that helps you or anyone. This is why cagers will pull out in front of us from a stop sign. They just give it a quick look and don't turn their head far enough to actually see us.

Right you are! I took the test. (Actually I sort of new that anyhow. I wear my scuba gauges on my left wrist since I'm more comfortable reading them on that arm.)

I'll concentrate more on the head swivel! Hopefully the right peg will wear at the same rate as the left thanks to your suggestion!

Back