free website stats program "Alltime" Worst Place To Ride. | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Alltime" Worst Place To Ride.

One day a buddy of mine (on his 2012 Honda GL1800) and me and my wife on our 2012 Ultra Classic were out "getting lost" on the back roads here in Florida. We were making our way back to Jacksonville after lunch in Ormond Beach. We actually looked at a GPS and saw a road marked as County Road 13 (North Old Dixie Highway) coming out of a little town called Espanola, just northwest of the town of Bunnell where County Roads 205 and 13 join and go North to County Road 204. The stretch looked to be about 10-12 miles and when we started up it, albeit quite narrow, appeared to be paved well and in pretty passable condition. What we didn't notice on the GPS map was the name of the road was also known as "Old Brick Road". About a mile North of Espanola, the pavement ended and the road was actually made of brick. Old school Florida! Unfortunately, the farther up the road we went, the more these beautiful bricks were covered with what eventually wound up as about 4" of soft sugar sand. We both nearly dumped and had a whale of a time turning around as it was far to treacherous to proceed on our big touring bikes. Now if you are riding a dirt bike or in a car or on a 4-wheeler I'm sure the road is undoubtedly passable. DO NOT ATTEMPT IT ON A BIG BIKE!

Attachments

• North Old Dixie Highway.jpg
    North Old Dixie Highway.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 29
A couple of years ago while in Salt Springs I decided to explore the abandoned Kerr City. Should have taken the truck but we took the bike. The roads are long gone all have returned to nature with only sand ruts left. To say the least it was an interesting ride.

Watchung Mountains, NJ, in the fall......sooooooooo many leaves on the twisties. Saw lots of bikes down there
WAP.gif

Downtown Gatlinburg on 441. Was in the worst traffic jam several years back before I learned better to take the bypass, The bike got so hot I thought about shutting it off and running inside somewhere for a cold one!:D

i commute thru and around Atlanta and it is BAD. lawrenceville to airport and back, 47.3 miles each way. but the alltime worst rode was half way up going to the sun highway in MT when the pavement turned to oiled gravel because of resurfacing and no guard rails. that was the most cheek tightening sphincter shrinking ride i ever had. sign just said roadwork ahead. nothing, nothing about oiled gravel. at the end we turned around and went back the other direction. i knew what i was getting into and we were on the mountain side the other direction. couldn't miss the views the other direction. the OL was taking pictures.
patrick

By far I can honestly tell you that ANY military installation is going to be the worst place to ride. By far. The most UNMAINTAINED roads in the world. Plus with the constant battering from large military vehicles, the roads just get worse and worse.
WAP.gif

Orlando, Fl.
+1 million on O-Town... that town is gridlock everywhere, all of the time. In Central Florida heat your air cooled engine is mad at you every single ride (not to mention the road ragers, tourists, and q-tips everywhere.)

Back