free website stats program All Electrical - POOF | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

All Electrical - POOF

I'll go get a new fuse and cut the old one in half. Never thought of doing that before. Guess that's why we listen to you.

Thanks
Jake

Hoop,

Fuse holder feels pretty tight on both sides. Unless it is the wiring into or out of the fuse holder, do not believe that is the problem.

Looking at the schematic, the ignition switch kills power to everything but the security system and ECM. Since the security system was disarmed when the power went away, would the security led on the speedometer flash or not? If it should flash, then the power loss has to be at the Maxi fuse or associated wiring. If it would not flash, then the ignition switch could be the culprit. Is this correct, or am I all wet and it's more complicated than that?

Thinking back on it, I have had 2 occasions in the past where all instrumentation went away. Engine still running, but no indicator lights, no speedometer. Pull off to the side, shut it down including turning key off. Then restarting and everything working fine again. This has to be related and an indication that the original problem is getting worse. Don't know if this provides any addditional help or not.

Thanks,
Jake

Three questions.

Yesterday after the bike came back to life on it's own,,,, was the clock flashing showing 00:00 (lost time of day)

On those two occasions when the instrumentation went away, do you happen to remember if the clock reset to 00:00 and lost time of day.

When this happens, you have NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING as in no lights, Horn, speedo light, led alarm key not flashing, no cranking, no alarm chirps no Nothing. You can't even use the cigarette lighter to have a smoke while you wait for AAA. Nothing as in flat line Zero.

Q1)Yesterday after the bike came back to life on it's own,,,, was the clock flashing showing 00:00 (lost time of day)

A1)When it came back to life; yes, the clock was showing 00:00

Q2)On those two occasions when the instrumentation went away, do you happen to remember if the clock reset to 00:00 and lost time of day.

A2)Not sure

Q3)When this happens, you have NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING as in no lights, Horn, speedo light, led alarm key not flashing, no cranking, no alarm chirps no Nothing. You can't even use the cigarette lighter to have a smoke while you wait for AAA. Nothing as in flat line Zero.

A3)Correct on everything but the cigarette lighter. Don't have one :D

Well if you are loosing Time of day and the bike is totally dead,, it can't be the ignition switch.
The fact you can place the ignition switch to the ON position and not have lights or horn, PLUS you loose Time of day ("Keep Alive" power circuit), seems to indicate the problem is from the Break Off Node point at the fuse panel BACK to the battery.

For it to be the ignition switch, you would also have to have ANOTHER problem for the Keep Alive circuit to also fail.

I wish the bike was in a state of failure right now. A few simple voltage checks is all it would take.

You DID check the Positive stud bolt on the starter? That is the Maxi fuse Feed and must be solid. Did you get around to having the battery load tested (from entry point 28 of this thread) ?

The positive lead to the starter looked in great condition. It was tight,no corrosion, terminals were bright & shiny when I looked at them.

I have not gotten around to having the battery load tested yet.

Guess I'll put it back together, put my multimeter on board and ride till it quits again.

Thanks,
Jake

Terminals can "look" bright and shiny and still be a problem and not conduct. Always remove and clean them to get them out of the troubleshooting arena.

Always remove the NEG first and replace it last.

Terminals can "look" bright and shiny and still be a problem and not conduct. Always remove and clean them to get them out of the troubleshooting arena.

Always remove the NEG first and replace it last.

I have read your posts in the past and obey, O Master. I did clean the connections as I checked them. Wiped to remove old dielectric grease, wire brushed, clean with crocus cloth if there was any question. Reapplied dielectric grease, reassembled and tightened.

I think I know where Hoop is trying to take me on checking the voltages. I whipped up this flow chart to verify I am looking in the right direction. I will put this and my multimeter on the bike and hope it dies again so I can check in this order.

Elec_Flow_Chart.png

Hoop, If I do not have this right, holler at me.

Thanks,
Jake

I have a better chart to follow. Will post.

Also, Entry point #36 question. Did you get around to load testing battery.

Back