free website stats program Alignment | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Alignment

Sorry...missed that completely. They are solid wheels.
Before the alignment you could really see a lot of movement of the wheel/tire as well as the belt. After the alignment it is better but with the wheel turning it looks like the wheel is warped. Might be optical illusion, of course.

With that rear wheel so far out for over 4000 miles, there could be a significant wear problem on that tire.

Well, mystery solved. I now have a brand new bike. Or, at least it feels like it. It turns out that the rear wheel was never balanced out of the factory. (this in addition to the alignment) It had NO weights on it and enough wobble to be really causing a problem. It took some work but my new Indy spent enough time with it to find the sweet spot on the rim, balance the front and rear and get the handle bar risers straight. What a difference. Kudo's to Raullo at Tennessee Motorsports for listening and caring enough to do it right. Much more than I can say for the local dealer. Cheers.

BigEd

Glad you got it squared away BigEd. They can be a pain when it's not right.

Thanks Glider. I just got back from putting a little over 100 miles on her and I am one happy camper. It goes where I want it to go. Stops where I want it to stop and doesn't try to fall over when I stop.

I know it's been years since I rode before, but I knew this wasn't right. I was starting to think I just wasn't going to be able to do this. It's really unbelievable the difference.

The thing that gets me is, it's obvious that this bike came out of the factory like this. I may contact the area rep and see what they have to say.

I do appreciate your willingness to help and the service you provide here.

BigEd

Thanks BigEd , I don't think the rep will do much in the way of help for you, they seem to turn a deaf ear when a problem pops up. I've seen this many times.

Sounds like Glider and the shop worked this hard problem out...good job.

By the way, did he get his dragging front brake caliper rebuilt and hi temp grease on the pins. Most disc brakes are not double action and rely on the front rotor runout to gently "push" the calipers open. This will minimize pad wear and drag.

BTW I think Motorcyclist or SportRider magazine had tech articles for DIYers, balancing wheels on a string (literally), checking them for runout and on aligning the wheels to frame centerline of bike using low tech string and tape, with some new tech using cheap laser pointers...they also did fork adjustments for camber/caster, offset, lead/trail, suspension travel/preload (sack) etc. using zip ties, Carrie Andrews of Cycle Tune in SoCal did the work, and I think Art Friedman is still doing the Crusier mag...man it has been awhile since I dived into tech stuff in magazines...I like HDTimeline because it is one on one with many eyes & ears helping out :coffee

Last edited:
Back