free website stats program Aircraft oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Aircraft oil

I have heard of people using diesel oil, and automobile oil in their Harley's so I guess some figure that aircraft oil is good to. I have myself even thought of using diesel synthetic oil. Who wants to comment on diesel syn oils.
Ken

I would not use it in a TC ,but back in my shovel and Iron head days I ran Penzsoil straight weight 60 Aircraft oil all the time ,bought it by the case ,Ran that aircraft penzsoil 60 weight for 10yrs straight with no problems in my67 iron head and 74FXE 68,000 miles before I did the topend.put it back together and ran for another 20,000 plus before I had to do the bottom.

My old days were air cooled aircraft engines (parents said ok to flying no to bikes)....a completely different operating environment for oils. Volkswagon bugs much closer environment wise.

Aircraft oil is typically changed at 25 or 50 hours, has 6to 10 quarts in the crank case, is an "ash less dispersant" blend",which is designed for 100LL fuel which still has some lead for anti-knock and to prevent valve guides from sticking, for an engine that spends hours running at 2500 rpm or less with all most no cycle of rpm up-down like a bike engine ..along with several other major differences.
Mobil Syn is my choice for the HOG, Phillips for the airplane....

Adding to that, being an A&P mechanic. Aircraft oils lack many detergents and additives that auto oils have to prevent spark plug fouling in flight. And aircraft engines are overhauled 1600 to 2000 hours of operation depending on make and model, So bearing wear is taken care of before failure. Aircraft oil is a very high quality oil made for a very specific type of engine, just as motorcycle V-twin oil from different manufactures like mobil, lucas, redline produce. So why not spend a dollar or two more a quart and buy a product that is designed specifically for your application? that is just my opinion, but I know there is millions that differ from mine.

My point is Forwood's Harley motor has 323,000 miles on it and he used diesel engine oil.

Are we being taken? We pay a large per quart price for V-Twin engine oil and this guy has just put the V-twin engine oil market on notice that you don't need it.

As said before, I will buy my favorite synthetic V-Twin engine oil and continue my regular maintenance/change intervals. My investment is too great to experiment.

The question is out there, what are we really getting for what we pay?

So true Tank, are we being taken. We are taken for everything else at the dealerships especially in Canada from the price of the bikes to the tires, oil filters etc. I wonder if anyone has ran diesel oil and had it anilized if they would share the report with us. Surely out of 40000 members somebody must of tried it.
Ken

Anybody look at or try Valvoline 20W50 motorcycle oil? AutoZone for $3.99 a quart!!!
wilks3 :D
:USA

My mistake, Valvoline and Castrol 20W50 is on SALE $1.99qt thur 5-30-2011!!! At AutoZone!!!
wilks3 :D
:USA

In my above post, BOTH Valvoline & Castrol 20W50 are "Motorcycle oil" for $1.99.
Looks like I'm saying they are NON- Motorcycle oil
Any Moderator, please merge. Thanks!
wilks3

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is Forwood's Harley motor has 323,000 miles on it and he used diesel engine oil.

Are we being taken? We pay a large per quart price for V-Twin engine oil and this guy has just put the V-twin engine oil market on notice that you don't need it.

As said before, I will buy my favorite synthetic V-Twin engine oil and continue my regular maintenance/change intervals. My investment is too great to experiment.

The question is out there, what are we really getting for what we pay?

So true Tank, are we being taken. We are taken for everything else at the dealerships especially in Canada from the price of the bikes to the tires, oil filters etc. I wonder if anyone has ran diesel oil and had it anilized if they would share the report with us. Surely out of 40000 members somebody must of tried it.
Ken

Remember how oil was cheap, when all of a sudden WHAM, they raise the price just like gas, and there really is not much oil in a quart when you factor in the additive package so why the high price, guess because they have us all fooled?

Back