free website stats program Air Ride...Not Convinced Yet | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Ride...Not Convinced Yet

never bought from them but progressive is a great brand.. give the air shocks soem more time and play around with the air pressure

You're right Bud. I'm not going to jump into anything. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here. Maybe if I got the Progressives and wasn't satisfied I could E-bay those suckers and not lose too much.

I can tell you I find the suspension on the 09 Ultra underwhelming for a large heavy supposedly luxury touring machine. It may be my only niggle with this otherwise fine motorcycle. In all the years they have been making these they cant get better action out of these? My Tiger 1050 had a plusher ride (less small and large bumps felt) and was more controlled (to be expected as it was a sportier bike). Of course it had almost twice the shock travel to work with as the Ultra does so the big guy starts at a disadvantage. If I keep lower air in the shocks it isnt as harsh but is too "loose" and you still dont get a feeling of riding on a smooth machine. The weight helps but, again, I have had lighter sportier bikes with better bump absorbing ability which is the big surprise on this bike. Since getting it I took a long ride with a buddy and on one stretch of road with lots of up and down rippless the bike just felt out of control...no damping really at all on those rear shocks that I can tell. Since then I put the Progressive cartridge front units in the forks...cant say they help anything other than reduce braking dive. I am contemplating the rear for next year. Too bad no one seems to really do an air shock upgrade...they all seem to be lowered (last thing I want to do is lower them and lose even more travel or ground clearance!). I really think all they need is some expert damping tuning. I suppose I will be looking around at Works, Progressive and others...I guess I really dont need the air adjustability as I dont change pressures (or need to) all that often.
FWIW I generally run mid 30's air pressure but have tried from 20 up to 40..generally ride solo, 6'2" 210 with a little stuff in the bags (rain gear, tool kit, gloves, jacket liner, etc.)

Phil

you can also change to a heavier weight oil i ended up doing that in the shocks and much better im a big fellow the stock weight oil didnt get it 2 up esp .. been so long since i did it i forgot about it the other night

What are you not getting out of the air ride that you expect?

I'm looking for smooth. It seems it either rides too soft or too choppy. Hard to explain. I am playing around with pressures as we speak. My wifes Fatboy goes over the 1.5" ledge into our driveway way smoother than my bagger does. Maybe it's her fatty tire on the back. My Honda VTX was actually smoother over railroad track etc. Dont get me wrong, I love my FLHX and can live with the ride if I need to. It's not THAT bad. I'm just exercising my options.

i had to drop down to 14psi. seems ok, about to go 3000 mi. i'll know soon. ps, i go about 220..............bw

200lb and 5.5 in height mean I have the low shocks and I find no probs with comfort or ride occasionally it will jack up as the rebound is not to good but other than that fine, I run in the region of 30 solo and 45-50 2 up
WAP.gif

With my FLHX wouldnt that mean we have the same shocks?

I have been playing in the 8-20 lb range. Perhaps I need to pump her up a bit. 5'10", 200lbs.

She's tore down waiting for TFI right now. When I get her back together I'll pump her up to about 24-28 and play around there for a while.

Have a great day...

Back