free website stats program aftermarket air intake install issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

aftermarket air intake install issues

If you are installing an A/C with more air flow you will need to re-jet to add more fuel.
Not sure if this is your initial problem, but you will be running leaner than you will want to.

stray dog, I think that may be the issue, I installed the intake but i did not re-jet the carb. I checked my install and decided to take it down the road, once i got out on the street and the wind started blowing the bike was bogging down, so I think i may be getting more air than fuel? does that sound about right?

I should have been more clear. I just didn't want you to fix a possible install problem and go on your merry way without adding more fuel IF you have more air flow now with new A/C.

I agree with the other posts here that the black smoke indicates rich.
But why? If you went from stock A/C to more air flow you should be running lean.

Is exhaust still black? Or was it just once, maybe after you where twisting throttle around during A/C install?

I would follow the other posts here and double check install.

I am with glazier on this one.

If there were no issues before the intake install, it's pretty simple to verify that there are issues with the new A/C or the install. Remove the new "trick" air intake and install the OEM unit. If the problem goes away, you will have to figure out what is going on with the new unit. If the issue remains, you jacked up something in the install or the issue was there in some form before the install of the new intake.

Take the time to get establish a known baseline and trouble shoot from there. You are flying blind at this point. I doubt very seriously that installing a new intake is causing a condition rich enough to produce the symptoms you describe. I can run either of my bike, hipo motors, with or without an air filter and neither condition will produce black smoke.

Back