free website stats program Advice for first attempt to start | Harley Davidson Forums

Advice for first attempt to start

Hi
I posted a while back about value of a bike. I got it home for a great price. I am new to this stuff regarding bikes for forgive me if my termonology is not correct, I do want to see this to 100% on the road
As far as I know its a 1972 flh elecroglide with a 1200 cc engine. I have a chrome place and paint guy lined up and will search for parts as needed, i know shocks, brakes etc will need work, the bike has been sitting for 15 to 20 years. Hoping its not a 750ish pound paper weight lol.
I currently have the seat off next step is tank off to clean and easy access.
I know the first thing is starting it. I will put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to see if it cranks by hand. I plan to drain the oil, pull and clean the carb, clean the plug, check starter (No kickstart on this one as you probably know), generator etc. Ive researched it takes 20W50 oil 3 quarts and will use carb and brake cleaner for the rest. The bike has no key (location below spedometer on tank) but it has a second keyed cylinder on the drivers side below the tank with a toggle switch next to it (What is this for) Can I just jump the wired to fire it up once oil/carb/spark are done.
I found the other post got good responses with great advice. Any help, tips, advice for someone who is mechanical but havent worked on bikes before. Right now the task is getting it running.
Thanks in advance to a newbie.
Desmond

Welcome to the forum from Spokane Wa.
Sounds like a great project in front of you.
I don't have more recommendations for this but what you plan to do, sounds good.

Welcome from Ohio. I wonder if that toggle switch gives the ignition switch power from the battery, also maybe a kill switch to shut it off the motor. Sounds like your moving in the right direction, good idea using MMO in the cylinders.

Thanks for the advice. So far I got the carb off and free, kit is on the way with points assembly, cylinder heads setting in mmf I was told by a guy on the west coast of Canada BC that the going through the centre of the points was to crack it by hand, won't take his advice as the bolt is the timing advance bolt got a new one ordered. I am pretty confident she will fire
Awesome thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I posted a while back about value of a bike. I got it home for a great price. I am new to this stuff regarding bikes for forgive me if my termonology is not correct, I do want to see this to 100% on the road
As far as I know its a 1972 flh elecroglide with a 1200 cc engine. I have a chrome place and paint guy lined up and will search for parts as needed, i know shocks, brakes etc will need work, the bike has been sitting for 15 to 20 years. Hoping its not a 750ish pound paper weight lol.
I currently have the seat off next step is tank off to clean and easy access.
I know the first thing is starting it. I will put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to see if it cranks by hand. I plan to drain the oil, pull and clean the carb, clean the plug, check starter (No kickstart on this one as you probably know), generator etc. Ive researched it takes 20W50 oil 3 quarts and will use carb and brake cleaner for the rest. The bike has no key (location below spedometer on tank) but it has a second keyed cylinder on the drivers side below the tank with a toggle switch next to it (What is this for) Can I just jump the wired to fire it up once oil/carb/spark are done.
I found the other post got good responses with great advice. Any help, tips, advice for someone who is mechanical but havent worked on bikes before. Right now the task is getting it running.
Thanks in advance to a newbie.
Desmond
Just a update on the bike. It's alive and running great. Now the fun begins with a full teardown, paint, chrome work and parts
She started first turn. My diamond in the rough
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I will have a question or 200

Thanks for the advice. So far I got the carb off and free, kit is on the way with points assembly, cylinder heads setting in mmf I was told by a guy on the west coast of Canada BC that the going through the centre of the points was to crack it by hand, won't take his advice as the bolt is the timing advance bolt got a new one ordered. I am pretty confident she will fire
Awesome thanks
Just an update

Back