free website stats program Adjustment and Troubleshooting of Clutches. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjustment and Troubleshooting of Clutches.

Hello all I am fairly new to this site, it seems to offer some good info. The only bummer is you need at least 150 post to download anything.

Now to the point :(

I have a 2005 Sportster XL1200C that I just fixed the starter clutch on than went fairly well for that process, however putting the bike completely back together I am having trouble shifting and the clutch is draging/ will not fully disengage. I re-removed the primary cover last night to see if I could notice anything out of the ordinary, but did not. With the cover off the it shifted like it should with the shifter springing back, and with the cover on it must be binding the shifter linkage because it does not spring back. I adjusted the clutch cable per the manual, however the clutch does not want to disengage all the way. I am lost with out my bike. any help would be appreciated.

Mr. Data,

I have tried to readjust the clutch cable as well as the throw out bearing many times with no luck. I used the standard procedure for adjusting the throw out bearing, by tighting it finger tight than backing off 1/4 turn. Following that procedure by adjusting the clutch cable with the 1/16 to 1/8" play.

After them two procedures completed it still seems like the clutch does not engage at all.

Finally with the primary cover off I put the shifter linkage on and the shifter shifted smoothly, and with the cover on (torqued 120 in-lbs) the shifter is more difficult to shift and does not spring back like it should. The work was done with the bike on the side stand rather than on the lift.

I hate the thought to have to take the primary cover off again.

I wonder if anyone has a pdf copy of the service manual and parts manual for a 2005 sportster that could be emailed to me.

by tighting it finger tight than backing off 1/4 turn.

Check your manual again. It's usually 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn out after lightly seating. This could very well cause the dragging clutch you are experiencing.

Back