free website stats program Adjusting Pushrods | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjusting Pushrods

installed ss pushrods on 03 ultra moved front cylinder to top dead center adjusted pushrods to just contact lifter then adjusted 24 flats per ss instructions but once there I still could move the rods free with my fingers alittle pressure not a lot is this correct

also these are new tappits or lifters installed at same time

Last edited by a moderator:
With new lifters I would bet that is correct. Old lifters take some time to bleed down. Once bled down you should be able to rotate the Push Rod with your fingers, but no up or down movement. After start up the new lifter will pump up and should be quiet.
I usually go back the next day, when cooled down and recheck them if I unsure. They must be cold or room temp.
tourbox

When I adjusted my gaterman lifters, the turning was Easy From "0" lash then Adjusted out to .140+... AND it took about a minute to turn Freely using my thumb and for-finger...

Sounds like you will be fine. IF on start-up they CLANK...LOUDLY(abnormally)

turn it off immediately and start over.

Normal Clicking-Tapping COULD-SHOULD be there only for about 10-20 seconds Max...

Let us Know how they came out.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Ok guys, I think I might be able to do this but still have some nagging questions. I have the 103B engine. Is a cam change out the same for this engine regarding the bearing intstall tool? I'm ready to do this but everytime I talk to someone else they keep throwing me curves. I just want to put in a bolt in SE 204 cams with adj. pushrods and new bearings. Some one please ease my mind! Thanks
Bob

Ok guys, I think I might be able to do this but still have some nagging questions. I have the 103B engine. Is a cam change out the same for this engine regarding the bearing intstall tool? I'm ready to do this but everytime I talk to someone else they keep throwing me curves. I just want to put in a bolt in SE 204 cams with adj. pushrods and new bearings. Some one please ease my mind! Thanks
Bob

Same? Not sure what you are asking if it is the same as? There are three different sizes of inner camshaft bearings depending on the engine type and year.

The '07 and up TC ('06 and up for Dynas) is the Torrington B-168 bearing (2)
The '99-'06 TC (except for the '06 Dyna) is the Torrington B-148 bearing (2)
The '84-'99 EVOs are the Torrington B-138 bearing (1)

You can find good tools here:

06-Up T/Cam Engine
99-06 T/Cam Engine
84-99 Evo Engine

For a pictorial on doing the job, see here:

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Forums

Cheers,

TQ

HD13FXST011.gif

This is about the only difference in the B engine

Same? Not sure what you are asking if it is the same as? There are three different sizes of inner camshaft bearings depending on the engine type and year.

The '07 and up TC ('06 and up for Dynas) is the Torrington B-168 bearing (2)
The '99-'06 TC (except for the '06 Dyna) is the Torrington B-148 bearing (2)
The '84-'99 EVOs are the Torrington B-138 bearing (1)

You can find good tools here:

06-Up T/Cam Engine
99-06 T/Cam Engine
84-99 Evo Engine

For a pictorial on doing the job, see here:

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Forums

Cheers,

TQ

Thanks for the information, now I can go ahead and start ordering parts.

Ok bear with me guys....I read that you want to find tdc on the comp. stroke . on the cyl. that you want to adjust . Then I read to adjust those pr's. After reading that, I read after finding tdc on comp. stroke let bleed down before adjusting. So do I let bleed down before adj. and after adjusting? Thanks for your patience and help.

Ok bear with me guys....I read that you want to find tdc on the comp. stroke . on the cyl. that you want to adjust . Then I read to adjust those pr's. After reading that, I read after finding tdc on comp. stroke let bleed down before adjusting. So do I let bleed down before adj. and after adjusting? Thanks for your patience and help.

The lifters you are adjusting will squeeze out the oil as you adjust them, let it sit at least 10 minutes before you roll it over to be sure Does that make sense to you?

Back