free website stats program Adjust Clutch Lever freeplay | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Adjust Clutch Lever freeplay

That's exactly it! I was thinking that "free play" was as far as you could possibly thread the adjuster bolt in!!!! That is WAY past stopping the plate from wiggling! I had the wrong definition of "free play"!:D:D:D:D:D:small3d028::small3d028::small3d028:

Man, if there was a way this board could offer a "hands on" HD maintenence class, I would sign up! Thanks a bunch Chopper! You picked the right word to use to make it clear to me! SWEEEET!:s

Thanks for speaking my language! I feel sane again!

I AM PATTING all the OTHER BACKS HERE ALSO!!!!

the term I USED was FINGER TIGHT not angle wrench tight....
IF you go back NOW and RE-READ ALL the post the many posted here you will see the ERROR that was made.....

BY tight ing the center allen bole IN like SAID you were dis-engaging the clutch plates.... so clutch would slip!!! no matter where the cable adjustment was...

I think all the ones who advised you were right on the mark.....

PHHeewwww
THANKS Chopper for the RE WORDING

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Chopper. What size is the allen wrench though?

On my 2007 UC:
I think the allen wrench is 3/16 or 7/32. (sorry, even though I just did it, my memory is terrible with numbers)
The the jam nut is 11/16

I did it without a T-handle wrench.
Also, when you tighten the jam nut while holding the adjuster bolt with the allen wrench, be careful. I used an open ended wrench but with the angle you have to get in there, it is a little tough to get a good "purchase" on the jam nut and easy to round off a corner if you are not careful.

Just as Glider said in his post, having the transmission in High gear makes it easier. I you are in first gear, you can move the bike with a hand wrench.

That's exactly it! I was thinking that "free play" was as far as you could possibly thread the adjuster bolt in!!!! That is WAY past stopping the plate from wiggling! I had the wrong definition of "free play"!

Wait a minute. I am sure it says somewhere in the procedure to use just your fingers (the video I know does) to tighten the allen bolt screw before backing off the 1/2-3/4 turn..

I AM PATTING all the OTHER BACKS HERE ALSO!!!!

the term I USED was FINGER TIGHT not angle wrench tight....
IF you go back NOW and RE-READ ALL the post the many posted here you will see the ERROR that was made.....

BY tight ing the center allen bole IN like SAID you were dis-engaging the clutch plates.... so clutch would slip!!! no matter where the cable adjustment was...

I think all the ones who advised you were right on the mark.....

PHHeewwww
THANKS Chopper for the RE WORDING

signed....BUBBIE

Exactly right BUBBIE!
I think the video I watched is what really through me off. I saw the tech make many, many turns of the allen wrench. So, I kept on turning...
Tell you what...I'll never forget this little lesson.
I'll adjust clutches for free!

Thanks to all who helped educate me!
Great board Moderators!

Wait a minute. I am sure it says somewhere in the procedure to use just your fingers (the video I know does) to tighten the allen bolt screw before backing off the 1/2-3/4 turn..

I probably watched a different video.

My manual says: See Figure 1-9. Loosen locknut on clutch adjuster screw.
To take up all free play in push rods, turn screw inward
(clockwise) until lightly seated.

I interpreted "lightly seated" as just barely touching the bottom (very bottom)of the hole the adjustment screw threads into.

Trek: Sorry. The jam nut is 9/16 (not 11) in my manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS EVERYONE - need to adjust my clutch before riding . after reading the manual was left with a DUH. now I know what the manual is saying
great advice from everyone as always

Back