free website stats program abs failure | Harley Davidson Forums

abs failure

johnkarlfl

Can this happen on my Ultra??
My town and country van had a flat and I changed the tire with another brand. The ABS (esp) locked up while driving because the tire specs were different than the other 3. The dealer told me I have to buy all 4 new tires to fix the problem. If I were to change tire size on the bike would this cause problems with the ABS system??

Can this happen on my Ultra??
My town and country van had a flat and I changed the tire with another brand. The ABS (esp) locked up while driving because the tire specs were different than the other 3. The dealer told me I have to buy all 4 new tires to fix the problem. If I were to change tire size on the bike would this cause problems with the ABS system??

If the abs ecu sees too many revolutions or too few probably

Changing tire sizes could confuse the ABS system if the ratio between front and back changed. Changing brands wouldn't bother the system as long as the tire spec stayed the same as stock tires. Just my interpretation from reading about it so I'm really just guessing.

Say what?
ABS is never suppose to lock up, if anything it will just not function as ABS and work like a normal brake.
Does not madder if it is a car or motorcycle.
Car dealer blowing smoke, mixing tires size is not a good idea but locking up ABS. Thats one for the six oclock news.

Probably not locked up, more likely the pump activated because the ecu saw something it did not like in the wheel speed with the wrong size tire, dont know about bikes but cars and trucks will do a roll off test with the ABS as you start to drive, Chrysler has had a lot of problems with premature pump failure I would have the Dealer check this

It also could have been more that the Traction Control was kicking in and not the ABS. That I have seen a few times.

Remember ABS works off of rotation of the wheels and impending lock up. So 2 different type tires on the same axle could cause a ABS miscalculated reading with system. If you had 3 different P205/75r15 tires all 3 would be different in height, so rotation would be different. I don't buy needing all 4 to be the same but defiantly on the same axle. On the bike you only have front and rear channel for ABS so replacing one new tire would not effect system negatively.

thanks Jack
I wish I new that before running of the road, scared the H out of me.

Scared the Harley out of you , keep in mind all manufacturers have had there share of ABS problems, if you have a lot of noise from the system more than a roll off test usually between 5-15 miles per hour you may have a faulty pump, Chrysler mounted the pumps under the vans by the steering, Why I dont know but they have a high failure rate, tho it will not affect normal stopping, just kind of scary the first time the pump activates:s

Back