free website stats program ABS Cement | Harley Davidson Forums

ABS Cement

Mongo1958

Hey, Happy 4th of July.

The louvers or vents in the right hand side lowers on my 2009 ultra started to rattle like crazy.
The noise was so bad I first thought that some thing was wrong with the engine.
I took the vent out to find out that the plastic slot broke.
I went to Lowes and got some ABS cement. It seems to have done a good job
Of mending the plastic. I'll install them in the morning when it's cooler.
Just wanted to share this with you.

Later
WAP.gif

Good tip Mongo, thanks for sharing that. Modern day "plastic" is one of the most difficult materials to glue successfully for strength. (not like the old plastic airplane models I used to have...). I think there are so many things mixed in with it now for strength and moulding/manufacturing purposes, like nylon & teflon etc.

Not sure if this trick would work but I used to make small lucite stands for different purposes and I would buy very expensive "glues" that bond the pieces together.

When I ran out of this "glue" I tried using Acetone and it actually worked. Apparently the original "glue" was just a solvent that "melts" the lucite, thus bonding the pieces together. I have a special dispenser bottle with a very small needle type nozzle tip that delivers the solvent directly and precisely to the bonding location.

So what does this all mean?

Answer: Depending on the type of plastic, the acetone would work on many different plastics as I discovered over time. You must be patient because it takes some time for the plastics to harden as a result of the softening by the acetone.

I have fixed many different things this way and most often it works (again, depending on the type of plastic).

Good thread here, my 2 cents I have used Gorilla Glue and Liquid nails with outstanding results:s

Back